Dr Shanti Sumartojo is a Vice-Chancellor's Research Fellow and a core member of the Digital Ethnography Research Centre.
Shanti's work currently spans three overlapping areas:
- The first is ongoing research on how people experience commemorative sites and events, particularly in the context of the First World War centenary.
- The second is a suite of collaborative ethnographic investigations into how people encounter and make sense of designed environments, with a focus on instances of urban spatial transformation.
- The final research stream is concerned with healthcare environments, and how their design might contribute to forms of wellbeing.
All three areas are linked by methodologies that include sensory and digital ethnography, and research projects are often funded by and conducted in collaboration with external industry partners.
- Pink, S.,Sumartojo, E.,Lupton, D.,Hayes LaBond, C. (2017). (In Press) Mundane data: The routines, contingencies and accomplishments of digital living In: Big Data and Society, , 1 - 12
- Closs Stephens, A.,Hughes, S.,Schofield, V.,Sumartojo, E. (2017). Atmospheric memories: Affect and minor politics at the ten-year anniversary of the London bombings In: Emotion Space and Society, 23, 44 - 51
- Pink, S.,Sumartojo, E. (2017). (In Press) The lit world: living with everyday urban automation In: Social and Cultural Geography, , 1 - 20
- Sumartojo, E. (2017). (In Press) Tweeting from the past: Commemorating the Anzac Centenary @ABCNews1915 In: Memory Studies, , 1 - 16
- Sumartojo, E.,Pink, S.,Spong, L.,Vaughan, L. (2017). Feeling better: sensory rooms in an inpatient psychiatric unit In: Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Architecture, Research, Care and Health, Copenhagen, Denmark, 26-27 April 2017
- Sumartojo, S.,Lacey, J.,Hillary, F. (2017). (In Press) contain yourself: technology, the city and atmospheric intervention In: Media International Australia, , 1 - 13
- Sumartojo, E.,Dyer, A.,Garcia Mendoza, J.,Gomez, E. (2017). Ethnography through the digital eye: what do we see when we look? In: Refiguring Techniques in Digital Visual Research, Springer, Switzerland
- Sumartojo, E. (2017). Local complications: anzac commemoration, education and tourism at Melbourne's Shrine of Remembrance In: Commemorative Spaces of the First World War, Routledge, Abingdon, United Kingdom
- Sumartojo, E.,Pink, S. (2017). Empathetic visuality: GoPros and the video trace In: Refiguring Techniques in Digital Visual Research, Springer, Cham, Switzerland
- Lacey, J.,Pink, S.,Harvey, L.,Qiu, X.,Sumartojo, E.,Zhao, S.,Moore, S.,Duque Hurtado, M. (2017). Acoustic design innovations for managing traffic noise by cancellation and transformation In: Transurban Group Melbourne, Australia