Dr Qian (Chayn) Sun is a Lecturer within the School of Science
Dr Chayn Sun is a Lecturer/Spatial Scientist with over 10 years of experience in applying GIS technologies in multi-disciplinary projects and research.
Chayn's primary role is a Lecturer in School of Science teaching science skills and working in the Work Integrated Learning (WIL) area.
She previously worked as a GIS Analyst for a number of projects in New Zealand and Australia, her work included integrating, organising, processing and visualizing spatial data from multiple sources to conduct spatial and statistical analysis and modelling. Since pursuing her PhD at Curtin University, Chayn has been researching in interdisciplinary of geography, environment, human behaviour and transportation and traffic psychology, with a record of leading-author journal articles in those areas. Her current research activities at RMIT are to look at the impact of urban vegetation on urban heat islands (UHI) effect, and active traveling with temperature and tree shadeways information services, etc.
- Liu, C.,Yang, J.,Yu, X.,Sun, C.,Wong, P.,Zhao, H. (2021). Virtual power plants for a sustainable urban future In: Sustainable Cities and Society, 65, 1 - 18
- Zhou, H.,Sun, Q.,Blane, A.,Hughes, B.,Falkmer, T.,Xia, J. (2021). Investigating On-Road Lane Maintenance and Speed Regulation in Post-Stroke Driving: A Pilot Case–Control Study In: Geriatrics, 6, 1 - 14
- Wallace, L.,Sun, C.,Hally, B.,Hillman, S.,Both, A.,Hurley, J.,San Martin Saldias, D. (2021). Linking urban tree inventories to remote sensing data for individual tree mapping In: Urban Forestry & Urban Greening, 61, 1 - 11
- Teofilo, A.,Sun, Q.,Radosevic, N.,Tao, Y.,Iringan, J.,Liu, C. (2021). Investigating potential rooftop solar energy generated by Leased Federal Airports in Australia: Framework and implications In: Journal of Building Engineering, 41, 1 - 14
- Rakoto, P.,Deilami, K.,Hurley, J.,Amati, M.,Sun, C. (2021). Revisiting the Cooling Effects of Urban Greening: Planning Implications of Vegetation Types and Spatial Configuration In: Urban Forestry & Urban Greening, , 1 - 12
- Bhardwaj, J.,Kuleshov, Y.,Chua, Z.,Watkins, A.,Choy, S.,Sun, Q. (2021). Building capacity for a user-centred integrated early warning system for drought in Papua New Guinea In: Remote Sensing, 13, 1 - 24
- Le, T.,Sun, C.,Choy, S.,Kuleshov, Y. (2021). Regional drought risk assessment in the Central Highlands and the South of Vietnam In: Geomatics, Natural Hazards and Risk, 12, 3140 - 3159
- Hurley, J.,Saunders, A.,Boruff, B.,Duncan, J.,Knight, G.,Amati, M.,Sun, Q.,Caccetta, P.,Chia, J. (2020). Benchmarking Urban Vegetation Cover: Melbourne, Perth, Sydney In: Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning Melbourne, Australia
- Sun, C.,MacLeod, T.,Both, A.,Hurley, J.,Butt, A.,Amati, M. (2020). A human-centred assessment framework to prioritise heat mitigation efforts for active travel at city scale In: Science of the Total Environment, 763, 1 - 39
- Sun, Q.,Choy, S.,Chua, Z.,Aitkenhead, I.,Kuleshov, Y. (2020). Geographic Information System for Drought Risk Mapping in Australia - Drought Risk Analyser Web App In: Proceedings of the 13th GeoInformation for Disaster Management Conference (Gi4DM 2020), Sydney, Australia, 30 November–4 December 2020
PhD (Curtin University)
MSc (1st honors) (University of Auckland)
PGDipSci (University of Auckland)
7 PhD Current Supervisions
- Integrated Heat Vulnerability Assessment Toolkit for Australian Cities (Administered by University of Melbourne). Funded by: Australian Government Department of Education and Training - Competitive from (2021 to 2022)
- Enabling active travel in Australian cities by mapping shadeways (Smart Active Transport - Urban Heat Maps for Bendigo). Funded by: Smart Cities and Suburbs Program - 2017 onwards from (2017 to 2020)