Dr. Vinh Thai is currently a senior lecturer at the School of Business IT and Logistics, RMIT University.
Dr. Vinh Thai is an active academic with experience in teaching, research and higher degree research supervision in the broad areas of shipping and port management and maritime logistics.
He has been teaching since 2006 at the Australian Maritime College, University of Tasmania in Australia and Nanyang Technological University (NTU) in Singapore prior to joining RMIT.
He has experience of course coordination and curriculum development. He has taught customized (professional development) courses to industry professionals for those attended programs at the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport, Singapore, and Vietnam Institute of Logistics.
He was also frequently invited to deliver guest lectures at Korea Maritime and Ocean University (KMOU), Incheon National University in South Korea, and Vietnam Maritime University in Vietnam.
Dr. Thai has accumulated higher degree research (HDR) supervision experience. Prior to joining RMIT, he successfully completed three PhD research supervision projects and is still a co-supervisor for other three PhD students at NTU. His research specialisation areas include quality management in shipping, port and logistics; maritime safety and security, port sustainable development and skills development in shipping, port and logistics sectors.
He has published widely in peer-reviewed international journals such as International Journal of Logistics Management, International Journal of Logistics Research and Applications, International Journal of Shipping & Transport Logistics, Transport Reviews, Safety Science, Maritime Policy and Management, Maritime Economics & Logistics, Asian Journal of Shipping and Logistics, Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Management, Total Quality Management and Business Excellence, etc.
Dr Thai is currently an Associate Editor of the Asian Journal of Shipping and Logistics. He was also involved in several consultancy projects for ASEAN Secretariat, Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA), World Bank in Vietnam, World Bank in Indonesia and invited to speak at several international academic and industry conferences and seminars.
Dr. Thai has been recipient and co-recipient of several awards including:
- Best paper award, 18th QMOD-ICQSS & KSQM International Joint Conference on Quality and Service Sciences, Yonsei University, October, 2015.
- KSA prize for the winner of the Commended Paper Award, 8th International Conference of Asian Shipping and Logistics, Vietnam Academy of Social Sciences, June, 2015.
- KSA prize for the winner of the Best Paper Award, 7th International Conference of Asian Shipping and Logistics, Korea University, October, 2014.
- KOMARES Prize for the winner of the Commended Paper Award, 6th International Conference of Asian Shipping and Logistics, Kobe University, Japan, 2013.
- STX Prize 2013 for Best Paper published in the Asian Journal Shipping and Logistics in 2012, STX Scholarship Foundation and the Academic Editorial Board of the Asian Journal of Shipping and Logistics.
- Commendation Prize, Next Generation Container Port Challenge 2013, Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore, Singapore.
- Rob Lewis Prize for Excellence in Postgraduate Research, Australian Maritime College, University of Tasmania, Australia, 2007.
- Chancellor’s Medal for Academic Excellence, granted by Secretary General of International Maritime Organization, Chancellor of World Maritime University, 2001.
Current teaching responsibilities include:
- Undergraduate level: BUSM4379 LSCM Business Design Project 1 and BUSM4380 LSCM Business Design Project 2
- Postgraduate level: OMGT2088 International Logistics
- PhD in Maritime and Logistics Management (AMC-UTAS, Australia), 2006.
- MSc. in Maritime Affairs, Port Management Specialisation (WMU, Sweden), 2001.
- BSc. in Maritime Economics (VIMARU, Vietnam), 1997.
- Assistant Port Manager and Project Manager, Vietnam International Container Terminal (VICT), Hochiminh City, Vietnam (2001 – 2003)
- Line Officer, Operations Department, Vietnam International Container Terminal (VICT), Hochiminh City, Vietnam (1998 – 1999)
- Outbound Executive, P & O Nedlloyd Shipping Line, Hochiminh City, Vietnam (1997 – 1998)
- Operations Executive, Asian Pacific (S) Co. Ltd., Hochiminh City, Vietnam (1996 – 1997)
- Zhang, G.,Thai, V.,Yuen, K.,Loh, H.,Zhou, Q. (2018). Addressing the epistemic uncertainty in maritime accidents modelling using Bayesian network with interval probabilities In: Safety Science, 102, 211 - 225
- Thai, V.,Jie, F. (2018). The impact of total quality management and supply chain integration on firm performance of container shipping companies in Singapore In: Asia Pacific Journal of Marketing and Logistics, 30, 605 - 626
- Yuen, K.,Thai, V.,Wong, Y.,Xueqin, W. (2018). Interaction impacts of corporate social responsibility and service quality on shipping firms' performance In: Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, 113, 397 - 409
- Zhou, Q.,Wong, Y.,Xu, H.,Thai, V.,Loh, H.,Yuen, K. (2017). An enhanced CREAM with stakeholder-graded protocols for tanker shipping safety application In: Safety Science, 95, 140 - 147
- Yuen, K.,Thai, V. (2017). The influence of supply chain integration on operational performance: A comparison between product and service supply chains In: International Journal of Logistics Management, 28, 444 - 463
- Youngran, S.,Thai, V.,Grewal, D.,Kim, Y. (2017). Do corporate sustainable management activities improve customer satisfaction, word of mouth intention and repurchase intention?: Empirical evidence from the shipping industry In: International Journal of Logistics Management, 28, 555 - 570
- Loh, H.,Zhou, Q.,Thai, V.,Wong, Y.,Yuen, K. (2017). Fuzzy comprehensive evaluation of port-centric supply chain disruption threats In: Ocean and Coastal Management, 148, 53 - 62
- Loh, H.,Thai, V.,Wong, Y.,Yuen, K.,Zhou, Q. (2017). Portfolio of port-centric supply chain disruption threats In: International Journal of Logistics Management, 28, 1368 - 1386
- Thai, V. (2017). Assessing the national port system - The Case of Vietnam In: Port Management: Cases in Port Geography, Operations and Policy, Kogan Page, London, United Kingdom
- Chang, C.,Thai, V. (2017). Shippers� choice behaviour in choosing transport mode: the case of South East Asia (SEA) region In: Asian Journal of Shipping & Logistics, 33, 199 - 210
6 PhD Current Supervisions