Dr Briony Towers is a research fellow in RMIT University’s Centre for Risk and Community Safety working on climate change adaptation and disaster risk reduction in the emergency management sector.
Briony is a research fellow in RMIT University’s Centre for Risk and Community Safety. She is currently working on a range of projects associated with disaster risk reduction and climate change adaptation in the emergency management sector. She is also undertaking a large-scale qualitative study that examines children’s knowledge of vulnerability and resilience to bushfires in south-eastern Australia. This work has been funded by the Bushfire Co-operative Research Centre’s program for ’Community Self-Sufficiency for Fire Safety’.
Socio-cultural approaches to human development; children’s knowledge of disaster risk; children’s participation in disaster risk reduction and climate change adaptation.
Briony is a field report co-editor of the Children, Youth and Environments Journal.
- B BSc.
- B Sc. (Hons.)
- PhD in Psychology (University of Tasmania)
- Amri, A.,Bird, D.,Ronan, K.,Haynes, K.,Towers, B. (2017). Disaster risk reduction education in Indonesia: Challenges and recommendations for scaling up In: Natural Hazards and Earth System Sciences, 17, 595 - 612
- Ronan, K.,Haynes, K.,Amri, A.,Towers, B.,Alisic, E.,Davie, S.,Ireland, N.,Petal, M. (2016). Child-centred disaster risk reduction: Can disaster resilience programs reduce risk and increase the resilience of children and households? In: Australian Journal of Emergency Management, 31, 49 - 58
- Ronan, K.,Alisic, E.,Towers, B.,Johnson, V.,Johnston, D. (2015). Disaster preparedness for children and families: A critical review In: Current Psychiatry Reports, 17, 1 - 9
- Towers, B. (2015). Children's knowledge of bushfire emergency response In: International Journal of Wildland Fire, 24, 179 - 189
- Towers, B.,Haynes, K.,Sewell, F.,Bailie, H.,Cross, D. (2014). Child-centred disaster risk reduction in Australia: progress, gaps and opportunities In: Australian Journal of Emergency Management, 29, 31 - 38
- Ronan, K.,Towers, B. (2014). Systems education for a sustainable planet: preparing children for natural disasters In: Systems 2014, 2, 1 - 23
- Foster, H.,Towers, B.,Whittaker, J.,Handmer, J.,Lowe, T. (2013). Peri-urban Melbourne in 2021: changes and implications for the Victorian emergency management sector In: The Australian Journal of Emergency Management, 28, 6 - 11
- Foster, H.,Whittaker, J.,Towers, B.,Handmer, J. (2013). Metropolitan Melbourne in 2021: changes and implications for the emergency management sector In: Australian Journal of Emergency Management, 28, 9 - 14
1 PhD Current Supervisions
- Review and Development of a Monitoring and Evaluation Framework for CFA's Community Engagement Programs. Funded by: Country Fire Authority Contract from (2018 to 2019)