Derek joined RMIT in 1988 as course leader on the Bachelor of Applied Science in Construction Management and from 1991 to 1998 was the head of department. He completed a PhD which was awarded in 1994.
In 2000 he moved location to the Faculty of Business (now called the Business College at RMIT) and later joined the Graduate School of Business. He is now working with the DPM in the School of Property, Construction and Project Management at RMIT so that I can contribute to both the Masters and Doctor of Project Management degrees.
- 1995 - RMIT strategic teaching and learning fund $20,000 to develop video a based teaching package for teaching construction technology
- 1991 - RMIT $10,000 Developing educational pathways between Building Construction diploma and Bachelor of Applied Science (Constuction Management) degree courses
- 1997 - RMIT Strategic Investment Fund - (responsible for team undertaking about 25% of a $200,000 faculty grant)
Derek's industrial experiences spans 16 years associated with the construction industry, five years in Canada, four years in the UK and seven years in Australia. He was assistant project manager on the 60-storey mixed-use construction project 'The Rialto' in Melbourne. Derek has been an academic since 1986.
- PhD 1994, RMIT
- Master of Science in Construction
- Management and Economics, University of Aston in Birmingham, 1979
- Graduate Diploma in Management Systems, Swinburne Institute of Technology,1985
- Higher National Diploma in Building, University of Glamorgan Wales, 1970
- Member of the Australian Institute of Project Managers (AIPM)
- Member of the PMI