Phoebe Whitman is a lecturer and the coordinator of 4th year in the Bachelor of Interior Design (Honours)
Phoebe Whitman's practice attends to surface through temporal, material and digital processes. She uses painting, sculpture and photography to approach various sites and situations. Through gentle processes of observation, framing, intervention, arrangement and (re)presentation an opening to imminent occurrences and potentialities with surface transpires.
In 2008 Phoebe joined the Interior Design program at RMIT University as a full-time lecturer. Presently she coordinates the final year of the Bachelor of Interior Design (Honours) program and supervises final year students undertaking their self-directed major project as well as teaching Design Studio and Specialisations.
Phoebe is presently undertaking a practice-based PhD, titled Surface Encounter, in the School of Architecture & Urban Design. The research practice challenges prevailing perceptions of surface and proposes surface as a situation for potentiality, sensation and encounter.
- Phoebe was invited to join the judging panel for the IES; The Lighting Society inaugural Dr. Albert Dresler Daylight Award, 2013 - 2014
- She has had exhibitions in a range of galleries, and recently has been in groups shows Thisness at Bus Projects (2014) and Beginning in Incompleteness; Works in Formation at RMIT Project Space Spare Room (2015)
- Coordinator of the final year, Bachelor of Interior Design (Honours)
- Supervision of 4th Year Major Projects
- Phoebe also leads design studios and specialisations in the interior design program on a regular basis.
- PhD (Architecture and Design) RMIT University. Research by practice. Project titled: Surface Encounter, 2009 – present
- Graduate Certificate in Teaching and Learning, 2010
- Bachelor of Design (Interior Design) RMIT University. Project titled: (How) Can Surface Be Spatial, 2005
- Bachelor of Arts (Fine Art) RMIT University, 1999
- Carey, J.,Whitman, P.,Schut, S.,King, L.,Murray, P. (2015). Untitled [5 weeks] In: beginning in incompleteness: works in formation Melbourne, Australia
- Whitman, P. (2014). SE#001 In: THISNESS Melbourne, Australia
- Whitman, P. (2014). Surface encounter In: Proceedings of the 2014 IDEA Symposium and Exhibition: Situation, Melbourne, Australia, 31 July - 3 August 2014