Phoebe Whitman is the Co-ordinator of 2nd and 3rd year in the Bachelor of Interior Design (Honours) at RMIT University
In 2008 Phoebe was engaged as a full-time lecturer in the Bachelor Interior Design (Honours) program at RMIT University, School of Architecture and Design. Before this, Phoebe was a sessional tutor in the program and taught across the 1st, 2nd and 3rd year.
Phoebe's research practice attends to surface. Often working responsively to occurrences and conditions of surface, in a variety of sites and contexts, the surfaces produced are in relation to a multiplicity of matter and media, such as photography, painting, sculpture.
Through delicate, repetitive, open-ended, material-led processes, the practice intends to frame the latent potentials of surface. The research is conducted through material arrangements (and rearrangement), as a process of continual interruption as a means of opening-up to potential and imminent occurrences that transpire on the surface.
Phoebe is committed to Interior Design education as a practice of designing interiors not limited to the inside of buildings and Architecture. Through her various teaching projects, she explores concepts, theories, processes and techniques that allow for an 'expanded notion' of interior to emerge.
Phoebe's studio projects often posit the interior as not a fixed condition but a situation, which is in dynamic relation with temporality, context, milieu, and exterior forces and conditions. Her approach to teaching references her creative research practice, where she designs curriculums and studio projects that allow students to engage through explorative and experimental processes,questioning assumptions of interior and experimenting with the temporal, spatial, relational, material potentials of interiors.
Often Phoebe teaches collaboratively with other practitioners, as a way to explore multidisciplinary practice of designing interiors. These include lighting designers, sculptors, photographic, multimedia and installation artists, and landscape architects.
Phoebe has been in the position of 2nd and 3rd year design coordinator since 2012. Phoebe is involved in the curation of design studios each semester, where a suite of design studios are offered to students, each lead by various practitioners. The suite of offerings change each semester. Drawing upon her network of industry connections, and from various creative practices, Phoebe has introduced into the program a range of practitioners and practices that contribute to the education of interior design and also this 'expanded' idea of interior design practice.
- 2015 TO NOTE: NOTATION ACROSS DISCIPLINES; workshop led by independent curator Hannah Mathews; Title of paper: Notes on the surface & other occurrences
- 2014 SITUATION; symposium hosted by RMIT Bachelor Interior Design (Honours) program; IDEA Journal; Title of paper: 'Surface Encounter'
- 2015 Beginning in Incompleteness; works in formation. Site responsive intervention & sculpture; RMIT Projects Space / Spare Room (group show)
- 2014 SE_#001 The Interior is a selected exterior. Site responsive intervention & sculpture; Thisness exhibition; Bus Projects (group show)
Awards and achievements
- Recognition of Category P5: Innovation in Curricula, Learning & Teaching. 2011 School of Architecture & Design, Higher Education RMIT University
- Recognition of Category P3: The First Year Experience. 2011 School of Architecture & Design, Higher Education RMIT University
- Recognition of Participation: RMIT Peer Partnerships in the School of Architecture & Design, Higher Education RMIT University 2012.
- 2012 - 2014 IES; The Lighting Society. Invited to the judging panel for the inaugural Dr. Albert Dresler Daylight Award.
- 2nd and 3rd Year Coordinator
- Supervision of 4th Year Major Projects
- Interior Design representative, A+D Learning and Teaching Committee (2009 – present)
- PhD (Architecture and Design) RMIT University. Research by practice. Project titled: Surface Encounter, 2009 – present
- Graduate Certificate in Teaching and Learning, 2010
- Bachelor of Design (Interior Design, Honours) RMIT University. Project titled: (How) Can Surface Be Spatial, 2005
- Bachelor of Arts (Fine Art, Honours) RMIT University, 1999
- Carey, J.,Whitman, P.,Schut, S.,King, L.,Murray, P. (2015). Untitled [5 weeks] In: beginning in incompleteness: works in formation Melbourne, Australia
- Whitman, P. (2014). SE#001 In: THISNESS Melbourne, Australia
- Whitman, P. (2014). Surface encounter In: Proceedings of the 2014 IDEA Symposium and Exhibition: Situation, Melbourne, Australia, 31 July - 3 August 2014