Dr Alice Witt researches the exercise of governing power in the digital age, focusing on the intersections of regulation, technology and gender. She holds a PhD from QUT Law (2020), for which she received an Executive Dean’s Commendation for Outstanding Doctoral Thesis Award, as well as a Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice (College of Law, 2018), Bachelor of Laws (Hons) (QUT, 2014) and Bachelor of International Business (Distinction) (QUT, 2014). In addition to contributions to edited volumes, her socio-legal work has appeared in journals such as the UNSW Law Journal, Feminist Media Studies, and Law, Innovation and Technology.
Currently, Alice is a Research Fellow in the School of Global, Urban and Social Studies, College of Design and Social Context at RMIT University. She is working with Professor Nicola Henry on an Australian Research Council Future Fellowship project that investigates the efficacy of digital tools and interventions to detect, prevent and respond to image-based sexual abuse (FT200100604).
Previously, Alice was a Postdoctoral Research Fellow in the Digital Media Research Centre, Faculty of Business and Law at the Queensland University of Technology. As part of an interdisciplinary research project funded by the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation’s Data61, she empirically investigated the legal, coding and other challenges of converting different types of Australian regulation into machine-executable code (project lead: A/Prof Anna Huggins, QUT).
- Witt, A.,Huggins, A.,Governatori, G.,Buckley, J. (2023). Encoding legislation: a methodology for enhancing technical validation, legal alignment and interdisciplinarity In: Artificial Intelligence and Law, , 1 - 32
- Henry, N.,Vasil, S.,Witt, A. (2022). Digital citizenship in a global society: a feminist approach In: Feminist Media Studies, 22, 1972 - 1989
- Laestadius, L.,Witt, A. (2022). Instagram Revisited In: The Sage Handbook of Social Media Research Methods, Sage Publications, London, United Kingdom
- Huggins, A.,Burdon, M.,Witt, A.,Suzor, N. (2022). Digitising legislation: connecting regulatory mind-sets and constitutional values In: Law, Innovation and Technology, 14, 325 - 354
- Henry, N.,Witt, A. (2021). Governing Image-Based Sexual Abuse: Digital Platform Polices, Tools, and Practices In: The Emerald International Handbook of Technology-Facilitated Violence and Abuse, Emerald, United Kingdom
- Gray, J.,Witt, A. (2021). A feminist data ethics of care framework for machine learning: The what, why, who and how In: First Monday, 26, 1 - 23
- Witt, A.,Huggins, A.,Governatori, G.,Buckley, J. (2021). Converting copyright legislation into machine-executable code: interpretation, coding validation and legal alignment In: Proceedings of the 18th International Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Law, São Paulo, Brazil, 21/06/2021-25/06/2021
- Witt, A.,Rivera, Y. (2020). Images of Post-Mastectomy Scarring on Instagram: An Evaluation of Content Moderation and the Implications for Public Health In: Proceedings of the 21st Annual Conference of the Association of Internet Researchers, Virtual Event, 27/10/2020-31/10/2020
- Witt, A.,Suzor, N.,Huggins, A. (2019). The rule of law on Instagram: An evaluation of the moderation of images depicting women's bodies In: UNSW Law Journal, 42, 557 - 596
- Witt, A. (2019). A New Black Box Methodology: The Challenges and Opportunities of Interrogating the Moderation of Images Depicting Women’s Bodies on Instagram In: Proceedings of the 20th Annual Conference of the Association of Internet Researchers, Brisbane, Australia, 2/10/2019-5/10/2019