Event details Event cancelled
Presented by Professor Alan Lau, Hong Kong Polytechnic University, as part of the Platform Technologies Research Institute's Distinguished Lecture series.
Polymer-based advanced composites always suffer from degradation at extreme temperatures in the range between 220 and 77 K and low atmospheric pressure.
This seminar will provide an overview on the nanocomposites and their mechanical, thermal and structural properties at different working environments.
The following key items will also be introduced:
- design of the heat shield’s geometry for re-entry vehicles
- shock wave effect in relation to the heat transmission to the vehicles
- advantage of using Phenolic Resin Carbon Ablator (PICA)
- types of nanoparticles for property enhancement for the vehicles
- possibility of using nano-particles (nanotubes, nanoclay, nano-silica, silica-aerogel, etc) to enhance the effectiveness of pyrolyzing process of PICA to prolong the heat transfer.
The potentiality of using different structural monitoring techniques to serve at the extreme environment will also be discussed.
Professor Alan Lau
Professor Alan Lau is a Professor in Product Design Engineering and Associate Dean (Industrial Relations) of the Faculty of Engineering at Hong Kong Polytechnic University.
He received his Bachelor and Master degrees in Aerospace Engineering from RMIT University and worked for General Aviation Maintenance Pty Ltd, Australia and the Cooperative Research Centre for Advanced Composite Structures at the same time. He has received numerous awards, including the Ernest L. Boyer International Award for Excellence in Teaching, Learning, and Technology, and both the Outstanding International Researcher Award and the Outstanding International Research Leader Award from the International Association of Multidisciplinary Research (IAMR).
His specialist areas are:
- product design and development
- aerospace composites
- smart materials and structures
- aerospace and aircraft engineering
- green composites.
He holds the position of Chair of The Institution of Engineering Designers and is a Member of the European Academy of Sciences.
Registration and bookings
RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org