Share your knowledge and experience with RMIT students. This is an opportunity to connect and engage with students and raise your organisation's profile.
A 45-minute Career Skills Session is a valuable opportunity for students to learn effective job seeking strategies and how to find work in their chosen field. The focus of each session is on student’s career development learning and employability.
Our Career Skills Sessions allow you to share your expertise with students about current and emerging practices in the labour market. Sessions can also focus on challenges facing your industry or sector, whilst providing an opportunity to connect and engage with students and raise your organisation's brand awareness with RMIT students, particularly with those who may not have considered your organisation previously – but are keen to gain advice on topics such as CVs and improving interview technique.
- Your audience may include undergraduates, postgraduates, and (occasionally) alumni. Every session is advertised to students across all disciplines, and all year levels.
- Attendance can be difficult to predict, with an average session attracting between 10 – 50 students. Busy academic timetables can mean that, even if students sign up for an event, attendance is not guaranteed.
- Students have diverse career interests. They have chosen to come to your Career Skills Session to improve their employability and may not be intending to apply to your organisation.
We will provide:
- assistance with your topic selection
- an on-campus venue
- targeted email promotion
- use of an online student booking system
- on-the-day assistance, such as escorting you to the venue and setting up equipment.
RMIT Careers and Employability invites recruiters to volunteer to run employer led Career Skills Sessions for our students, covering areas such as:
- Writing an effective resume and cover letter
- Interview techniques and tips
- Launching a successful crowdfunding campaign
- Assessment Centre preparation
- Developing commercial awareness
These sessions provide students with vital support in the application process. Students place real value on hearing directly from employers who can use examples to demonstrate what they look for, what makes a candidate stand out, and how students can make a competitive application.
Career Skills Sessions with an interactive element works best, although there’s no need to devise complex activities. Ask students to work in pairs for a few minutes, or give them a resource – such as an example application form or a badly written cover letter. Students particularly like anecdotes and examples from your own experience of recruitment. These may be useful to emphasise key learning points.
Follow up with an opportunity at the end for students to ask you specific questions about your company, programmes and industry knowledge.
How to book
To book a Career Skills Session please follow the steps below:
- Log in or register for CareerHub. and complete the Career Skills Session booking form in the left-hand menu.
- A RMIT staff member will email you confirming details within 3-5 business days.
- Host your Career Skills Session on campus and recruit our students.
N.B. There are a strictly limited number of Career Skills Sessions available each semester and organisations are required to book well in advance. All bookings are subject to review and approval by the University.
Terms and conditions
Career Skills Sessions are subject to availability and at the discretion of RMIT Careers and Employability.
Bookings need to be made a minimum of 10 working days before the session date.
We recommended you book up to a month in advance to secure your spot. This free service is subject to availability and at RMIT’s discretion.
For enquiries please contact the RMIT Careers and Employability team or phone on +61 3 9925 3901.