Use Open Educational Resources (OER)
Open Educational Resources (OER)
Open Educational Resources (OER) are freely accessible, openly licensed materials that can be used for teaching and learning. Anyone can access and make use of open educational resources, irrespective of their location or affiliation with any particular institution.
Examples include textbooks, full courses, lectures, games, teaching materials and assignments. They can take the form of text, images, audio, video and may even be interactive.
Library staff can help you source OERs in your subject areas and identify what type of creative commons license applies to them and how they can be re-used.
The Digital Collections Repository contains RMIT-created as well as creative commons-licensed OERs from other institutions that can be used for your teaching. Find out what Open Educational Resources are available in our Library
Open Textbook Initiative
The Open Textbook Initiative aims to establish a university culture that encourages the use and adoption of open educational textbooks as an alternative to paid resources. The project objectives are:
- to increase student satisfaction by easing the financial burden of textbook costs and increasing student engagement with the curriculum
- and to provide access to engaging and up-to-date global open learning resources, in support of new evolving learning experiences and futures.
The Library is partnering with the learning and teaching staff to:
- curate and review resources for inclusion into the curriculum
- encourage adoption of OERs
- and create an OER portal to facilitate access to quality materials.
Acknowledgement of Country
RMIT University acknowledges the people of the Woi wurrung and Boon wurrung language groups of the eastern Kulin Nation on whose unceded lands we conduct the business of the University. RMIT University respectfully acknowledges their Ancestors and Elders, past and present. RMIT also acknowledges the Traditional Custodians and their Ancestors of the lands and waters across Australia where we conduct our business.