RMIT's Bachelor of Education sets you up for a rewarding career that combines passion and purpose. Discover Elizabeth's story.
This video depicts scenes of Elizabeth Jukes playing and interacting with her daughter, teaching young students in a classroom, talking to other education students, browsing through a library and talking to camera. Upbeat guitar music plays throughout.
Duration: 1 minute 23 seconds
Elizabeth Jukes [Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood Education)]: One of the positives about being a teacher is that you learn something new every day.
My name is Elizabeth Jukes, I studied a Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood).
I have a little girl, Olivia, she’s three and a half. She goes to day care three days a week, in order for me to work and study here at RMIT.
RMIT is a respected university, it has enabled me to get a job easily. Throughout this course I’ve met a bunch of great friends, we catch up to talk about our teaching skills and what we can practice.
I find that I’ve learnt a lot from placement, and a lot from university, and then combining the two.
You use play-based learning in a way that is fun and inviting for children to spark thought, new ideas, inspiration.
People do think that teaching in early childhood is an easy job where they get to sit down and play, but play is all forms of development, play is early literacy, mathematics, science, it’s everything. You’re not just babysitting. The children are there to teach you just as you are to teach them.
I would encourage anyone to study at RMIT, it’s a really supportive environment and one that sets you up for life.
The following instructions will assist you to control the video player using the keyboard.
Starting and stopping the video
- Use the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination to navigate the video player controls.
- Navigate to the Play button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between play and pause.
- Navigate to the closed captions button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to open the closed captions menu.
- Navigate to the preferred close captions option using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to activate the close caption option.
- Navigate to the volume slider using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the left or right arrow to decrease and increase the volume.
- Navigate to the full screen button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between full screen video and normal size.
Copyright © 2016 RMIT University. All rights reserved.
Conditions of use
This item is available to RMIT University staff for official RMIT educational or promotional purposes. All uses outside of official educational or promotional purposes must be used with permission. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for permission.