Kristine talks about her passion for sewing and textiles. Find out what's next for Kristine after her fashion studies.
[Start of transcript]
AUDIO: Inspiring music.
VISUAL: Various images of KRISTINE addressing the camera and entering an RMIT design studio.
KRISTINE SPEAKS: I started sewing when I was about, around 10 or 11 years old, my grandma actually taught me, and we started by making clothes and different outfits for my teddy bears. What I really loved about sewing was just creating new things out of nothing.
VISUAL: KRISTINE holding up fabric and talking to students in the design classroom.
KRISTINE SPEAKS: When I was in year 12, I had taken textiles all the way through high school and it got about to a week before application shut for RMIT. And my teacher was like, just apply. I was set to do science, I was going to do fashion at all. But then, a week before I thought, I don't want to give it up, and just had a go and applied and got in.
VISUAL: KRISTINE works with different fabric and talks to the camera.
KRISTINE SPEAKS: Most of the fabrics we use now are actually created in 80s and before and not much solid material innovation has been done. Although, there is a lot to being worked on at the moment and it's just an exciting new field and it will really be one of the keys to creating a more sustainable fashion industry.
VISUAL: Shots of KRISTINE works with fabrics.
KRISTINE SPEAKS: In two weeks, I leave and I'm going on a semester exchange over at Finland, which I am so excited about. Finland is leading in sustainability, they have great education systems and a wonderful landscape, which I am really excited to go and explore.
VISUAL: Students work at sewing machines.
KRISTINE SPEAKS: So, what's next for me? I'm going on exchange to Finland. I'm hoping to learn everything and anything I can about material innovation and sustainability in the industry and keep doing my studies at RMIT and keep learning about all of this.
VISUAL: Shots of KRISTINE as she looks proudly at the camera. The text on screen reads: ‘What’s next …’ and then the RMIT logo and the web URL ‘rmit.edu.au/school-leaver’
[End of transcript]
The following instructions will assist you to control the video player using the keyboard.
Starting and stopping the video
- Use the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination to navigate the video player controls.
- Navigate to the Play button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between play and pause.
- Navigate to the closed captions button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to open the closed captions menu.
- Navigate to the preferred close captions option using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to activate the close caption option.
- Navigate to the volume slider using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the left or right arrow to decrease and increase the volume.
- Navigate to the full screen button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between full screen video and normal size.
Copyright © 2019 RMIT University. All rights reserved.
Conditions of use
This item is available to RMIT University staff for official RMIT educational or promotional purposes. All uses outside of official educational or promotional purposes must be used with permission. Please contact email@example.com for permission.