Teaching: View Oliver Harris's story
Oliver Harris made the transition from marketing to teaching so that he could have a rewarding career and make a difference.
This video highlights how RMIT’s education programs prepare students for more opportunities than just typical classroom settings.
Upbeat Music plays throughout.
Oliver Harris chose an education degree to make a difference, and now teaches at the Royal Melbourne Hospital.
Oliver Harris [Teacher, Royal Melbourne Hospital]: I’ve been a communications and marketing executive here in Melbourne but also previously in London. Although I loved it, it wasn’t satisfying my need to really want to make a difference and I chose to get into teaching.
It was a massively difficult decision to make but once I made that decision it was incredible.
I never thought that there were these opportunities to work as a teacher in unique learning environments, so it really did surprise me to be a teacher at the Royal Children’s Hospital.
One of the things that I had really looked forward to being a teacher is getting that bond and developing those relationships with kids. If you give, they give back twice as much, and it was such a joy to be that close to where the learning was happening.
RMIT helped me with my first two placements at two local schools which was fantastic. I popped down there two days before my placement started and introduced myself and they were like “yep great we’ll have you with our grade sixes for three weeks and by the end of it you’ll know how to teach” [chuckling].
We regularly work with RMIT students here at the hospital and it’s a great opportunity for us to sow that seed for them to really pursue a teaching career that’s not really in a classroom.
The skills that RMIT provided during the course enabled me to really understand how students learn.
Everyday is a unique experience. Teaching is a great career and I love it. You can see that the students that come from RMIT have a lot of passion for teaching and will become great teachers as well.
RMIT University logo
The following instructions will assist you to control the video player using the keyboard.
Starting and stopping the video
- Use the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination to navigate the video player controls.
- Navigate to the Play button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between play and pause.
- Navigate to the closed captions button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to open the closed captions menu.
- Navigate to the preferred close captions option using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to activate the close caption option.
- Navigate to the volume slider using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the left or right arrow to decrease and increase the volume.
- Navigate to the full screen button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between full screen video and normal size.
Copyright statement; Copyright © 2015 RMIT University. All rights reserved.
Conditions of use
Conditions of use; This item is available to RMIT University staff for official RMIT educational or promotional purposes. All uses outside of official educational or promotional purposes must be used with permission. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for permission.