RMIT's Foundation Studies has been hosting the Getaway Camp for around 20 years and is held three times a year coinciding with each intake of students.
00:00:08,199 --> 00:00:14,410
Phillip Harty: Foundation Studies is a pathway program exclusively
for international students, and it prepares
00:00:14,410 --> 00:00:20,899
them for degree and diploma programs.
The camp is a really big part of our program.
00:00:20,899 --> 00:00:26,709
Most of these students have recently arrived
in Australia so they get a taste of the Australian
00:00:26,710 --> 00:00:29,239
bush and just being with each other.
00:00:29,239 --> 00:00:35,660
Janal Numapo: I was kind of nervous at first because I didn't
know anyone that was going there. I have no
00:00:35,659 --> 00:00:39,859
one from my country doing the same course
as I am, so I didn't know anyone. I got on
00:00:39,859 --> 00:00:45,369
the bus and I sat there and I met this girl
from Sri Lanka. We started talking and then
00:00:45,369 --> 00:00:50,099
when we got to the camp we met some other
girls from Asia, and we all got talking and
00:00:50,100 --> 00:00:54,390
we all made friends. When the guys came in
we started asking "Where are you from? Where
00:00:54,390 --> 00:00:56,739
are you from?", so we told each other about
00:00:56,738 --> 00:01:03,539
Sergio Cortes: You have a lot of things to do, like Sports
- they teach you Footy, that is something
00:01:03,539 --> 00:01:09,049
else about Australia that is really different
00:01:09,049 --> 00:01:14,909
Phillip Harty: On the camp we also do a few electives related
to their particular streams - the Science
00:01:14,909 --> 00:01:16,780
students might build some boats...
00:01:16,780 --> 00:01:22,259
Janal Numapo: They put us into different groups and they
said, "Go look for branches and little twigs
00:01:22,259 --> 00:01:25,599
to build your own boat, and you have one and
a half hours to do it, and we're going to
00:01:25,599 --> 00:01:30,038
have a boat race." We made the whole thing,
tied them together - out of nothing, we made
00:01:30,039 --> 00:01:31,929
little canoes and boats.
00:01:31,929 --> 00:01:37,179
Sergio Cortes: There was a band, they were a really good
00:01:37,179 --> 00:01:42,289
Janal Numapo: They played some Australian music and told
us about the Outback and it was fun. They
00:01:42,289 --> 00:01:46,609
taught us some dance moves as well so we got
into groups and had partners and we danced.
00:01:46,608 --> 00:01:51,718
Sergio Cortes: We were just following their steps. I loved
the fact that everybody was involved.
00:01:51,718 --> 00:01:58,718
Phillip Harty: I've been going on camps myself for seventeen
years, it's my seventeenth year, and I'm always
00:01:59,759 --> 00:02:02,659
amazed how much the students get out of it.
00:02:02,659 --> 00:02:07,639
Janal Numapo: Just go. You'll regret not going when everyone
comes back and tells you how fun it was. Just
00:02:07,638 --> 00:02:07,888
The following instructions will assist you to control the video player using the keyboard.
Starting and stopping the video
- Use the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination to navigate the video player controls.
- Navigate to the Play button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between play and pause.
- Navigate to the closed captions button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to open the closed captions menu.
- Navigate to the preferred close captions option using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to activate the close caption option.
- Navigate to the volume slider using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the left or right arrow to decrease and increase the volume.
- Navigate to the full screen button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between full screen video and normal size.
Copyright © 2014 RMIT University. All rights reserved.
This item is available to RMIT University staff for official RMIT educational or promotional purposes. All uses outside of official educational or promotional purposes must be used with permission. Please contact email@example.com for permission.
Conditions of use
This item is available to RMIT University staff for official RMIT educational or promotional purposes.