An RMIT outreach program is inspiring female students into careers in science, technology, engineering and maths.
Women soar with STEMM outreach program
TEXT ON SCREEN: RMIT flies students and staff to remote areas to promote careers in Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths.
AUDIO: Ambient music.
VISUAL: This video features clips of a light aircraft flying to Horsham to visit a high school. The video features an interview with two students, Jacinta Burgess and Kerry Phillips. Their voice over then plays over footage of them traveling over the Wimmera, shots out of the plane and shots of them speaking to high school students.
JACINTA BURGESS SPEAKS: My name is Jacinta Burgess and I study an Associate Degree in Aviation at RMIT University. Today we had a STEMM visit to Warsham. We flew there and we were trying to educate young women about math and science. How they relate to our industry.
KERRY PHILLIPS SPEAKS: So my name's Kerry Phillips, and I'm studying a double in Aviation Business Management at RMIT. At the moment, it's very obvious and it's quite prominent in the media that there's not a lot of females within our STEMM Industries. So what they're trying to do from a top level for industries, is they're trying to encourage that they're hiring females. I think it's so important to be targeting the females at the ground up. So going to high schools and things like that. Letting them know what it is like.
I think getting more females within these roles is empowering for them. As well as will help the industry grow.
I was one of two females that went to the finals out of 13 people. So, what my big role within the team was to find a way that would exist in the real world.
Learn about yourself, find out what you like. Realise that anything can be a career.
I really hope they just thought of something they didn't think of before, and they realise that you don't have to make the decision today. It can be a decision you make later, it doesn't have to happen today. But I really hope, yeah, they just have a different way of thinking and really make sure to emphasis their critical thinking skills.
JACINTA BURGESS SPEAKS: Many young girls don't understand that some jobs aren't only for males. They are for women as well. That's really important for them to know that. That they can succeed in a mans world.
AUDIO: Ambient music fades out.
[End of Transcript]
The following instructions will assist you to control the video player using the keyboard.
Starting and stopping the video
- Use the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination to navigate the video player controls.
- Navigate to the Play button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between play and pause.
- Navigate to the closed captions button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to open the closed captions menu.
- Navigate to the preferred close captions option using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to activate the close caption option.
- Navigate to the volume slider using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the left or right arrow to decrease and increase the volume.
- Navigate to the full screen button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between full screen video and normal size.