Bringing together visionary leaders from around the globe to tackle the world’s most critical issues.
Bridging the gap between research and impact
Insights from Engaging for Impact 2018
“I believe in human energy. I believe in interdisciplinary research. I believe there will be someone out there who can answer my questions, and all I want is to connect with them.”
Professor Fiona Wood FRACS AM, Surgeon and Researcher, Fiona Wood Foundation
“If it’s impact that you want, if it’s commercial success that you want, you’ve got to remove the barriers.”
David Chuter, CEO and Managing Director, Innovative Manufacturing CRC
“We need research to be innovative but also practical. We need solutions to be affortable and consistent with development viability. And we need research that informs public conversation.”
Meredith Sussex AM, Chair, Fishermans Bend Ministerial Advisory Committee
“Do stuff outside your area of comfort. Creativity comes from doing things that are different to the core of what you’re focusing on.”
Leon Sandler, Executive Director, Deshpande Centre for Technological Innovation, MIT
“Unless we stop and think what that business model is, and how we get it to market, we shouldn’t even step out on that journey.”
Danielle Kennedy, Leader, Active Integrated Matter Future Science Platform, CSIRO
“There’s a real role for academics and researchers to challenge government. What really good research research can do is help change the discourse to get us to better outcomes.”
Toby Kent, Chief Resilience Officer, City of Melbourne
"Academia shouldn't just inspire industry but be inspired by industry."
Professor Maarten de Rijke, University of Amsterdam
“As we push hard on the art of the impossible we keep coming back to big ethical questions. Just because we can do something does it mean we should?”
Dr Ian Oppermann, CEO and Chief Data Scientist, NSW Data Analytics Centre
Music: Warm Feeling by Borrtex, Creative Commons, licensed under an Attribution-NonCommercial License.
The following instructions will assist you to control the video player using the keyboard.
Starting and stopping the video
- Use the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination to navigate the video player controls.
- Navigate to the Play button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between play and pause.
- Navigate to the closed captions button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to open the closed captions menu.
- Navigate to the preferred close captions option using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to activate the close caption option.
- Navigate to the volume slider using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the left or right arrow to decrease and increase the volume.
- Navigate to the full screen button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between full screen video and normal size.