Bees Can Do Maths
Transcript: Bees Can Do Maths
Description: This video updates viewers on the discovery by RMIT researchers that bees can do basic maths
AUDIO: Upbeat, ambient music plays
VISUAL: A yellow slide with a swarm of bees flying across the frame
TEXT: Bees can do basic maths!
VISUAL: Egyptian hieroglyphics
TEXT: Adding and subtracting has been vital in human societies since as early as 2000BC
VISUAL: A bee sits on a sunflower
TEXT: And now we know bees can do it too!
VISUAL: A chalkboard with maths equations being written on it
TEXT: Arithmetic involves a sophisticated level of cognition. Long-term rules must be remembered while short-term working memory deals with the numbers
VISUAL: A bee hovers in the air
TEXT: RMIT researchers taught bees to recognise colours as symbolic representations for addition and subtraction
VISUAL: Honeycomb with bees working
TEXT: And found that, despite their tiny brains, bees can do basic arithmetic
VISUAL: A digital rendering of a brain rotates
TEXT: The research expands our understanding of the relationship between brain size and brain power
VISUAL: A robot face stares as digital animations spin around it
TEXT: And that means AI developers could also learn a thing or two from our insect friends
TEXT: Shaping. The. World.
VISUAL: The RMIT logo appears.
The following instructions will assist you to control the video player using the keyboard.
Starting and stopping the video
- Use the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination to navigate the video player controls.
- Navigate to the Play button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between play and pause.
- Navigate to the closed captions button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to open the closed captions menu.
- Navigate to the preferred close captions option using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to activate the close caption option.
- Navigate to the volume slider using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the left or right arrow to decrease and increase the volume.
- Navigate to the full screen button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between full screen video and normal size.