Researchers from RMIT's School of Fashion and Textiles are collaborating with Bekaert Textiles Australia to improve sleep quality by creating innovative and responsive mattress fabrics.
AUDIO: Ambient music
TEXT ON SCREEN: Researchers from the School of Fashion and Textiles are collaborating with Bekaert Textiles Australia to improve sleep quality through mattress fabrics.
VISUAL: Luc Deleu speaks to camera.
LUC DELEU SPEAKS: You know, in Australia, the direct cost of sleep disorder was costed at a value of eight hundred and fifty million dollars. Bekaerts has always been advised in sleeping because we supply the bedding industry with fabrics, the fabrics going around the mattresses are supplied by Bekaerts. We try basically, to assist people to sleep better, safer and longer.
VISUAL: Associate Professor Rajiv Padhye, School of Fashion and Textiles, RMIT University, talks to camera.
ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR RAJIV PADHYE SPEAKS: So in this particular project from RMIT point of view, will be helping and assisting Bekhaert improve their existing product as well as to add some value by giving them some different coatings, finishes, also looking for moisture management, comfort and you know, thermal regulations.
LUC DELEU SPEAKS: It’s a very well known fact in the industry that RMIT is getting very active in the industry. We have seen the change from basic knitting and weaving to a very advanced product testing and analysis.
VISUAL: Associate Professor Lijing Wang, School of Fashion and Textiles, RMIT University talks to camera.
ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR LIJING WANG SPEAKS: We will test their products at Brunswick, we have testing facilities such as the skin model which simulate sweating, testing the thermal and vapour conductivity. We have other instruments as well, the are the latest technology we have, we are doing research and we can also help with industry.
LUC DELEU SPEAKS: They can take our knowledge a step further, because they have a few advantages, they are a research body, and we are here to basically run businesses. We hope that we can take now a couple steps further.
VISUAL: FADE TO WHITE
TEXT ON SCREEN: RMIT University logo. www.rmit.edu.au
AUDIO: Ambient music fades out
[End of transcript]
The following instructions will assist you to control the video player using the keyboard.
Starting and stopping the video
- Use the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination to navigate the video player controls.
- Navigate to the Play button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between play and pause.
- Navigate to the closed captions button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to open the closed captions menu.
- Navigate to the preferred close captions option using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to activate the close caption option.
- Navigate to the volume slider using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the left or right arrow to decrease and increase the volume.
- Navigate to the full screen button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between full screen video and normal size.
Copyright © 2014 RMIT University. All rights reserved.
Conditions of use
This item is available to RMIT University staff for official RMIT educational or promotional purposes. All uses outside of official educational or promotional purposes must be used with permission. Please contact email@example.com for permission.