Hear how Steven Kennedy is using his Master of Engineering (Sustainable Energy) from RMIT to lay the groundwork for a sustainable future.
- [Steven] Energy plays a huge part in our daily lives. So, as we move to a more sustainable future, it's important that our energy comes from sustainable sources.
My name is Steven Kennedy and I'm studying the Master of Engineering in Sustainable Energy at RMIT University.
I began my career as an industrial electrician working on oil and gas exploration and production platforms in the North Sea. My geothermal background led to a role on the Metro tunnel project, assessing the feasibility of using shallow geothermal energy to heat and cool five new underground railway stations.
That experience inspired me to make the move into sustainable energy engineering. Without the right qualifications, it'd be hard to make the switch. But with this degree, I'll be employable across a range of fields.
My studies have already created opportunities. I'm now working with a geothermal energy startup company, Fourth Element Energy. We turn building foundations into sustainable energy sources that provide highly efficient heating and cooling.
My philosophy is that life is a journey of continuous growth. It's important to have something on the horizon to challenge yourself and strive for something new.
I think every generation has a responsibility to leave the world in a better place, and that's why I'm passionate about laying the groundwork for a sustainable future.
The following instructions will assist you to control the video player using the keyboard.
Starting and stopping the video
- Use the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination to navigate the video player controls.
- Navigate to the Play button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between play and pause.
- Navigate to the closed captions button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to open the closed captions menu.
- Navigate to the preferred close captions option using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to activate the close caption option.
- Navigate to the volume slider using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the left or right arrow to decrease and increase the volume.
- Navigate to the full screen button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between full screen video and normal size.
Copyright © 2017 RMIT University. All rights reserved.
Conditions of use
This item is available to RMIT University staff for official RMIT educational or promotional purposes.
All uses outside of official educational or promotional purposes must be used with permission. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for permission.