Lucas Smith worked as a surveyor's assistant and was inspired to learn more by studying the Advanced Diploma of Surveying and then the Bachelor of Applied Science (Surveying) (Honours).
This video features Advanced Diploma of Surveying student Lucas Smith talking to camera about his experience studying at RMIT, intercut with scenes of him doing surveying fieldwork.
Lucas Smith talks about what it’s like to study at RMIT
Straight out of high school I had no idea what I wanted to do and I was offered a job as a survey assistant, and falling in love with the industry I was dying to know more.
Survyeing to me is the foundation of so many other disciplines.
Architects can’t design, builders can't build, and nations and states wouldn’t have borders without surveyors.
[Screen title] Why did you start with the Advanced Diploma?
The advanced diploma seemed like a great place to start because it focused on all areas of surveying.
The most interesting prac that I did during the advanced diploma was we were allocated a section of land at Yarra Bend Park and we had to do a full survey start to finish and also design a subdivision.
[Screen title] How has the degree broadened your knowledge?
The most interesting part of the degree for me has been learning about the legislation relating to land ownership and subdivisions and things like that.
That was something that I always hear a lot about at work but had never really been exposed to.
The most fun thing about studying at RMIT has been meeting a great group of like-minded people who share a similar passion for the industry that you do.
[Screen title] What’s next for you?
After I graduate I'd like to start a training agreement under licenced surveyor to get my own licence and hopefully one day work for myself.
This video features the song Full Blue available under a royalty free licence.
CRICOS provider number: 00122A
The following instructions will assist you to control the video player using the keyboard.
Starting and stopping the video
- Use the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination to navigate the video player controls.
- Navigate to the Play button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between play and pause.
- Navigate to the closed captions button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to open the closed captions menu.
- Navigate to the preferred close captions option using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to activate the close caption option.
- Navigate to the volume slider using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the left or right arrow to decrease and increase the volume.
- Navigate to the full screen button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between full screen video and normal size.
Copyright © 2016 RMIT University. All rights reserved.
Conditions of use
This item is available to RMIT University staff for official RMIT educational or promotional purposes. All uses outside of official educational or promotional purposes must be used with permission. Please contact email@example.com for permission.