Trades: Plumbing and Gas-fitting
Our plumbing programs prepare students for work in purpose-built facilities that reflect current industry materials and technologies.
Kevin King (Plumbing teacher) and Jean-Paul Lecuyer (Student) talk about the experience of studying plumbing and gas-fitting trades at RMIT. They are featured talking to camera interspersed with scenes of students in workshops and other learning environments. Upbeat music plays throughout.
RMIT University presents
Plumbing and gas-fitting
Kevin King (Plumbing teacher): We get a lot of employers come to our program manager asking for good apprentices, good pre-apps.
A lot of them get jobs and then they return back as first year apprentices, second year, third year apprentices and we teach all those years.
That allows you to sit for your license. Once you have licenses you can basically start your own business.
Jean-Paul Lecuyer (Student): There's such a diversity of people here, especially in a classroom.
There's all kinds of ages involved and I think the teachers are very good at putting themselves at every level.
Kevin King: If you have a look around the workshop here, we have quite a good capability to have a number of students in here at once.
We have a huge sandpit down there where they can do their drains and actually dig trenches and we try to really recreate the real world as much as we can with our workstations and what they have to do.
Jean-Paul Lecuyer: I think the teachers are very well grounded.
I do see that the teachers have been working in the field before they became instructors, so they really have a good knowledge of the trade.
Kevin King: We're always working on trying to keep current with the industry.
Obviously materials change, so we try to alter our workstations to make sure they're learning here what they're going to learn out in the field and continue on with.
RMIT University logo
This video features the song Inspirational available under a royalty free license.
RTO code 3046
The following instructions will assist you to control the video player using the keyboard.
Starting and stopping the video
- Use the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination to navigate the video player controls.
- Navigate to the Play button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between play and pause.
- Navigate to the closed captions button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to open the closed captions menu.
- Navigate to the preferred close captions option using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to activate the close caption option.
- Navigate to the volume slider using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the left or right arrow to decrease and increase the volume.
- Navigate to the full screen button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between full screen video and normal size.
Copyright © 2016 RMIT University. All rights reserved.
Conditions of use
This item is available to RMIT University staff for official RMIT educational or promotional purposes. All uses outside of official educational or promotional purposes must be used with permission. Please contact email@example.com for permission.