RMIT Master of Biotechnology graduate, Angela Peng talks about her journey to become a research assistant in the Cancer Development and Treatment Laboratory at Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre.
This video features a female narrator (Angela Pang). There is no dialogue apart from the narration. The video opens on a wide shot of the inside of a building (Peter McCallum Cancer Centre). We then see Angela walking towards the camera and her narration begins. During the video, we see her working in the laboratory. Upbeat music plays throughout.
Duration: 1 minute 40 seconds
My name is Angela Pang and I'm a research assistant here at the Peter McCallum Cancer Centre.
I'm intrigued by the constant evolving nature of research, and cancer research in particular, is developing at a rapid rate thanks to new and exciting discoveries.
For me every day is a little bit different. One day can consist of computer based work like data entry and data analysis, and other days I can be at the bench doing wet lab work all day.
Our main focus is on understanding the development of cancer and identifying key mechanisms that can be exploited in the form of new therapeutic targets.
I completed a Master of Biotechnology at RMIT University. The lecturers were very supportive and I gained valuable skills that were relevant to the workplace.
While studying I completed a placement at Peter Mac, giving me an insight into how a research lab operates and allowing me to gain valuable hands-on experience.
The job seeking environment is competitive, but industry experience definitely gave me not only and edge but a valuable networking experience.
Peter Mac is a fantastic place to work. As a research institute within a busy hospital researchers here tend to stay extremely motivated.
Sometimes days can be long and sometimes things don't work out as planned, but being so close to patients is a constant reminder of why all the challenges are completely worth it.
RMIT University logo
CRICOS provider number: 00122A
The following instructions will assist you to control the video player using the keyboard.
Starting and stopping the video
- Use the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination to navigate the video player controls.
- Navigate to the Play button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between play and pause.
- Navigate to the closed captions button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to open the closed captions menu.
- Navigate to the preferred close captions option using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to activate the close caption option.
- Navigate to the volume slider using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the left or right arrow to decrease and increase the volume.
- Navigate to the full screen button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between full screen video and normal size.
Copyright © 2017 RMIT University. All rights reserved.
Conditions of use
This item is available to RMIT University staff for official RMIT educational or promotional purposes. All uses outside of official educational or promotional purposes must be used with permission. Please contact email@example.com for permission.