Josh Gurtler is studying the Bachelor of Engineering (Mechanical Engineering). He talks about studying mechanical engineering, RMIT's practical approach to teaching, and the RMIT electric racing team.
The video features a student talking to camera interspersed with scenes of students working in engineering laboratories. Particular emphasis is placed on the subject of the video working on an electric race car.
Josh Gurtler talks about what it’s like to study at RMIT.
RMIT University logo
Mechanical engineering is solving problems and finding the solution to something in the most efficient way possible.
I love designing and building things. Every day there's a new problem to solve.
It’s very challenging but it's also very rewarding.
[Screen title] Why did you choose RMIT?
I chose to study at RMIT because I'm a very hands-on person and I learn best by doing.
RMIT has a very practical course and I get to learn skills such as CAD machining, fabrication and how C&C machines, laser cutters and 3d printers work.
[Screen title] What’s been the highlight?
My favourite part of my degree is working on the electric racing team.
I get to work with a great bunch of people and we design and build a car from scratch, and we get to race in the Formula SAE competition.
[Screen title] Where do you see yourself in the future?
My dream job is working at NASA or another space industry company.
I think it would be really exciting working on cutting-edge technologies.
[Screen title] What advice do you have for future students?
Make sure you supplement your course with extracurricular activities
You learn a lot and meet some great people and have a lot of fun.
RMIT University logo
This video features the song Full Blue available under a royalty free licence.
CRICOS provider number: 00122A
The following instructions will assist you to control the video player using the keyboard.
Starting and stopping the video
- Use the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination to navigate the video player controls.
- Navigate to the Play button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between play and pause.
- Navigate to the closed captions button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to open the closed captions menu.
- Navigate to the preferred close captions option using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to activate the close caption option.
- Navigate to the volume slider using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the left or right arrow to decrease and increase the volume.
- Navigate to the full screen button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between full screen video and normal size.
Copyright © 2016 RMIT University. All rights reserved.
Conditions of use
This item is available to RMIT University staff for official RMIT educational or promotional purposes. All uses outside of official educational or promotional purposes must be used with permission. Please contact email@example.com for permission.