Get to know Nicole Caruana, RMIT Advanced Diploma of Engineering Technology (Electrical) graduate and winner of the 2016 ABC Women in Broadcasting Technology scholarship, as she explains why she chose
RMIT University presents Nicole Caruana:
This video features a female narrator (Nicole Caruana). There is no dialogue apart from the narration. The video opens up with a shot of NICs (Network integrated components) before settling on Caruana at a computer workstation. Throughout the video we see her working on different devices and technologies while interacting with different people to an inspiring musical track.
Duration: 1 minute 37 seconds
Nicole Caruana: What I love most about engineering technology is the new technology that's always coming out. It's not like going to a job where you're doing the same thing day in, day out. There's always a constant change, or something new to learn.
I chose to study at RMIT because they have a broad range of technology, and a broad range of subjects. During this time, I applied for a scholarship through the ABC. It was a privilege to receive the scholarship. It was an exciting, and also nervous opportunity. It certainly expanded my knowledge.
Some of the things I've been doing at ABC have been upgrading CC units, upgrading cameras. I've also been involved in the commissioning of a couple of the studios, radio studios. Got to do some soldering, fix some k-pads up which operate lighting for the studios. There's so many different areas of the electrical industry that I enjoy.
After I finish my studies, I want to be able to be an electrical engineer, and design facilities and equipment. I've learnt so much. Its broadened my horizons. Its opened my mind to new and exciting opportunities to expand in the future.
RMIT University logo
CRICOS provider number 00122A
The following instructions will assist you to control the video player using the keyboard.
Starting and stopping the video
- Use the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination to navigate the video player controls.
- Navigate to the Play button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between play and pause.
- Navigate to the closed captions button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to open the closed captions menu.
- Navigate to the preferred close captions option using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to activate the close caption option.
- Navigate to the volume slider using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the left or right arrow to decrease and increase the volume.
- Navigate to the full screen button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between full screen video and normal size.
Copyright © 2017 RMIT University. All rights reserved.
Conditions of use
This item is available to RMIT University staff for official RMIT educational or promotional purposes. All uses outside of official educational or promotional purposes must be used with permission. Please contact email@example.com for permission.