Stephanie Demetrios is studying the Bachelor of Science (Statistics). She talks about the highlights of her studies, the applications of statistics and her career hopes.
Stephanie Demetrios is studying the Bachelor of Science (Statistics) at RMIT University. She shares the highlights of her studies, including her internship at the Victorian Institute of Sports (VIS), the different areas that statistics can be applied and where she ultimately hopes to use her degree.
This video features a student talking to camera interspersed with scenes of students studying and interacting around the campus.
Upbeat music plays throughout.
Stephanie Demetrios talks about what it’s like to study at RMIT.
To me statistics is analysis, creative problem-solving, lateral thinking and creating understanding from chaos. I was inspired to study statistics so that I can solve real-world problems in a way that no one else can.
[Screen title] What do like most about your degree?
The most fun part of my degree would be the group projects that I got to work on even though they were stressful at times it really gave me a good understanding of where statistics can apply in real life situations.
[Screen title] What’s been the highlight?
I had the opportunity to complete an internship at the Victorian Institute of Sport with the Melbourne Vixens netball team. I was able to see how statistics can be used within a sports heading to improve performance and assist decision making.
[Screen title] What’s next for you?
My dream job would be to work in analytics where I can contribute to community projects such as public health or not for profits to optimise their efficiency.
I think the greatest misconception about maths and stats is that there's only one career path to follow. What I've learned through this degree is that there's so many different areas that statistic can be applied and that stats students aren't one-dimensional we come from a range of different study backgrounds and have a range of different goals and dreams.
RMIT University logo
This video features the song Blue available under a royalty free licence.
CRICOS provider number: 00122A
The following instructions will assist you to control the video player using the keyboard.
Starting and stopping the video
- Use the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination to navigate the video player controls.
- Navigate to the Play button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between play and pause.
- Navigate to the closed captions button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to open the closed captions menu.
- Navigate to the preferred close captions option using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to activate the close caption option.
- Navigate to the volume slider using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the left or right arrow to decrease and increase the volume.
- Navigate to the full screen button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between full screen video and normal size.
Copyright © 2016 RMIT University. All rights reserved.
Conditions of use
This item is available to RMIT University staff for official RMIT educational or promotional purposes. All uses outside of official educational or promotional purposes must be used with permission. Please contact email@example.com for permission.