Find out how the academic promotions process has been given a makeover this year.
The following instructions will assist you to control the video player using the keyboard.
Starting and stopping the video
- Use the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination to navigate the video player controls.
- Navigate to the Play button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between play and pause.
- Navigate to the closed captions button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to open the closed captions menu.
- Navigate to the preferred close captions option using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to activate the close caption option.
- Navigate to the volume slider using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the left or right arrow to decrease and increase the volume.
- Navigate to the full screen button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between full screen video and normal size.
Academic promotion at RMIT is evolving because each academic career is unique.
Now, you can apply for promotion under a combination of three domains: Engagement, and either Teaching, Research, or both.
Here are some tips.
Your Performance and Career Plan will get you on the right path, early.
Find out what skills to develop using the Educator and Researcher Capability Framework.
The progressive feedback tool will help you get input from others… while the new promotion readiness tool will give you an indication of where you’re at.
Mentoring is also recommended. Promotion mentoring will now be hosted on BOOST, which means more flexibility, support and resources to guide you.
Once you and your manager agree you’re ready for promotion, you can submit an Intent to Apply form with the approval of your Head of School or Dean.
Some situations may require the approval of your PVC.
If relevant, you may apply using the principle of Achievement Relative to Opportunity... to account for individual circumstances.
To develop your skills in writing your individual narrative, attend an Applying for Academic Promotion workshop.
If you’re ready, submit your application.
Your Head of School or Dean will write a report, and you can write a one-page response.
Academic promotion is part of an ongoing career conversation to build your capability for the long-term, so plan ahead.