Athena SWAN - 90 Second Update
Professor Kay Latham talks about Athena SWAN achievements in 2017 and work ahead in 2018.
Sam Fainnle: Hello, I'm Sam Fainnle with Human Resources and I'm here with Professor Kay Latham, she's the lead contact for our Athena SWAN Initiative.
So Kay, can you tell us a little bit about what Athena SWAN is?
Kay Latham: Well, Athena SWAN is an equity and diversity programme.
It's particularly focused on academics and also on STEM, Science, Technology, Engineering, Maths and Medicine.
It's a very large undertaking. We have to gather a lot of data across a number of different fronts and come up with an action plan that addresses our weaknesses. That action plan has to go for about four years.
Sam: So can you tell us what's been happening in 2017 today?
Kay: Mostly data collection. There are lots of different facets of the application, so that's been a very large undertaking. And we've begun some bare analysis on that data.
Sam: So what's on the tables for 2018?
Kay: Continuing our data collection, but also starting some focus groups with STEM staff. These will be academics, professionals and vocational education staff. Particularly around flexibility and career development.
Once we've done that, we'll have to put it all together, come up with some actions and then take it out for consultation to the STEM audience that are on my team.
Sam: Excellent. And how can people find out more about Athena SWAN?
Kay: Our internet site is a really great place to start. We have an Athena SWAN intranet site (https://www.rmit.edu.au/staff/athena-swan).
Sam: Thank you Kay.
Kay: Thank you.
The following instructions will assist you to control the video player using the keyboard.
Starting and stopping the video
- Use the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination to navigate the video player controls.
- Navigate to the Play button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between play and pause.
- Navigate to the closed captions button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to open the closed captions menu.
- Navigate to the preferred close captions option using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to activate the close caption option.
- Navigate to the volume slider using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the left or right arrow to decrease and increase the volume.
- Navigate to the full screen button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between full screen video and normal size.
Copyright © 2018 RMIT University. All rights reserved.
Conditions of use
This item is available to RMIT University staff for official RMIT educational or promotional purposes. All uses outside of official educational or promotional purposes must be used with permission. Please contact email@example.com for permission.