RMIT is committed to ensuring that staff and students have a safe environment in which to work and study.
VISUAL: Martin Bean speaks directly to camera.
MARTIN BEAN SPEAKS: RMIT is steadfast in our commitment to protect and uphold the respect, safety and security of students and staff on campus.
As Vice-Chancellor of RMIT, while I’m sad it’s necessary, I’m proud to stand shoulder to shoulder with my education sector colleagues to say we accept nothing less than the perpetual safety of our people.
And it’s much, much more than a campaign for RMIT.
It’s a fundamental.
We’re implementing the full recommendations from the Australian Human Rights Commission as well as the University Australia recommendations, as part of Respect Now Always.
But we haven’t stopped there.
We can, must and will do more.
At RMIT we want everyone – and I mean everyone
-- to have the opportunity to be their best,
to shape their future and to belong.
And I believe that starts with feeling respected and safe.
Today and every day.
Led by our values of courage and inclusion, everyone should come confidently to work or study at RMIT knowing they will be treated well.
In fact I’ll go so far as to say places of learning should be safe havens.
So I take a zero tolerance approach for behaviour that demeans, threatens or harms others.
Because one incident of sexual assault or harassment is one too many.
Respect now, always – every day, every night
– should be a given and we won’t rest
until it’s something our University is known for.
I want us to set the standard by condemning violence against women and gender stereotypes, calling out poor behaviour, educating about the impact and embracing innovative justice.
Please – take care of yourself, take care of each other, and find the courage to call it as you see it.
Together, we can be the change.
The following instructions will assist you to control the video player using the keyboard.
Starting and stopping the video
- Use the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination to navigate the video player controls.
- Navigate to the Play button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between play and pause.
- Navigate to the closed captions button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to open the closed captions menu.
- Navigate to the preferred close captions option using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to activate the close caption option.
- Navigate to the volume slider using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the left or right arrow to decrease and increase the volume.
- Navigate to the full screen button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between full screen video and normal size.