Drivers of Change – Financial Sustainability | RMIT University
AUDIO: Ambient music
VISUAL: The RMIT logo opener transitions to a sketched mind map of the eight ‘Drivers of Change’. Focus is brought to the ‘Financial Sustainability’ section of the mind map
TEXT ON SCREEN: Financial sustainability – falling house prices – Higher Education demand on pause – alternatives in Higher Education. How do we navigate a disrupted Environment?
TITLE: Financial Sustainability: The changing drivers of cost, income and market share.
VISUAL: Tom Bentley, Executive Director of Policy, Strategy and Impact at RMIT, presents from a stage.
TOM: There’s a kind of growing squeeze and multiplying competing demand on national Government funding and funding sources.
TEXT ON SCREEN: Melbourne house prices have fallen for the first time since 2012.
TOM: The percentage of national Government income flowing to RMIT and other Universities will continue to decline. Our ability to diversify our income streams and our ability to work in different markets and with different partners is crucially important.
TEXT ON SCREEN: As Australian higher education grows, government funding has slowly reduced as a percentage of income.
Non Government = 39%
Government = 61%
Non Government = 42%
TEXT ON SCREEN: The gap in funding for research has been increasing.
TOM: The real costs of research are rising, just at the same time as the strategic importance and impact of applied research is growing.
TEXT ON SCREEN: We are seeing rapid growth in private and TAFE providers offering undergraduate degrees.
TEXT ON SCREEN: Challenges. How will RMIT navigate the changing cost pressures of a disrupted financial environment? How can we pursue demand-led growth opportunities while ensuring accessibility and value-for-money?
TOM: How will we navigate those changing cost pressures when we can expect a disrupted financial environment? And how do we pursue demand-led growth while also ensuring accessibility and value for money?
VISUAL: End sketch with text which reads:
Direction 1: Life changing experiences
- 1. Transformative experience
- 2. Shared pathways
Direction 2: Passion with purpose
- 3. Supporting and empowering our people
- 4. Managing resources for long-term value
Direction 3: Shaping the world
- 5. Research and innovation
- 6. Embed industry and enterprise
- 7. Global reach and outlook
VISUAL: RMIT logo slides in to end video.
The following instructions will assist you to control the video player using the keyboard.
Starting and stopping the video
- Use the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination to navigate the video player controls.
- Navigate to the Play button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between play and pause.
- Navigate to the closed captions button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to open the closed captions menu.
- Navigate to the preferred close captions option using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to activate the close caption option.
- Navigate to the volume slider using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the left or right arrow to decrease and increase the volume.
- Navigate to the full screen button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between full screen video and normal size.