This playful & informative video has essential information for commencing students such as, working with your supervisory team, managing your candidature and what do do if things get a little 'bumpy'.
The following instructions will assist you to control the video player using the keyboard.
Starting and stopping the video
- Use the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination to navigate the video player controls.
- Navigate to the Play button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between play and pause.
- Navigate to the closed captions button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to open the closed captions menu.
- Navigate to the preferred close captions option using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to activate the close caption option.
- Navigate to the volume slider using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the left or right arrow to decrease and increase the volume.
- Navigate to the full screen button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between full screen video and normal size.
Ladies and gentlemen, as we await the last of our passengers, I'd like to welcome you aboard RMIT Flight PhD. We'll be departing shortly, so please settle back and get comfortable while the cabin crew run through the services available on this flight.
Hello, and welcome to Flight PhD. Here at RMIT our aim is to support our graduate researchers on their way to excellent research outcomes. Because this is a long haul flight, we have a dedicated and experienced research [00:00:30] support crew onboard. You will also find a huge range of professional development opportunities to explore during your journey. As we prepare for takeoff, please take this opportunity to study the preflight checklist.
Get to know your supervisors. Discuss what you're hoping to achieve from your PhD and when and how often you will meet.
Prepare for confirmation of candidature. This is your first progress milestone. Make sure you know what's required and [00:01:00] when it's due.
Know your responsibilities. All researchers should foster responsible research practises. For example, will you need ethics approval? If you're an international student, you may have other reporting and Visa requirements.
Now that Flight PhD is underway and you're free to move around the cabin, let's meet your research support crew. First, your supervisors. Having a good relationship with your supervisors [00:01:30] is essential. The research project is ultimately your own but the process of doing a research degree is collaborative. Your supervisors will be able to advise you on key areas such as research design, project management and professional development. Next, your peers. You're not alone on this journey. You can learn a lot from your peers, so whenever possible connect with them and get involved in research events.
Every school at RMIT has staff dedicated to supporting graduate researchers, so it's a good idea to find out who they are and to introduce yourself. You never know when you might need them and if that's not enough, there's also a range of other services available, such as counselling, student union, the library and the study and learning centre. During the flight, please take time to check out our PhD Up programme. We offer a range of workshops and short courses to help you complete your degree successfully and prepare for your future career.
So far we've talked about the support crew and the many services and programmes on offer, but what happens if Flight PhD gets a bit bumpy? In case of turbulence, your research support crew are at hand to assist with life jackets, advice and direction. For further advise, always observe the safety signs. Talk to your supervisors, seek support from your school, speak to the student union. If on the other hand you're cruising along smoothly, why not check out the exclusive flight PhD entertainment package, which includes travel and publication grants, an industry engagement programme and the thesis writing boot camp.
For now, from all the research support crew onboard Flight PhD, thank you for choosing to fly with RMIT and we hope you have a great journey.