Welcome to Vocational Education sessional teachers
A welcome video for new Vocational Education sessional teachers outlining what life is like at RMIT.
Welcome to RMIT
Hello. My name is Keith Cowlishaw, I’m the Executive Director of Vocational Education here at RMIT. On behalf of the
Helping new VE teachers get started
I’m really the first port of call for the teachers who come into the program and I set them up with the practicalities… how to get a staff card, how to get set up with the rolls, which is where you take attendance and that’s available online. And also how to work the technology in the classroom, how to find
Well, we invite them to all team meetings. We make sure that we include them in morning tea and lunch and any other activities we've got going on.
We try to give them a solid orientation, so not only within the building, the
We also have conversations about the context in which they’re teaching. So that... I give them a Training and Assessment Strategy that outlines where the particular course they’re teaching in fits within the program as a whole. It outlines who the student cohort
We make them aware of all the other services that are available at RMIT that they can access and professional development and all of those types of things. And we have a cake every now and again.
My first week at RMIT, in fact pretty much my first year... was just chaos. I felt like I'd landed on another planet where everyone spoke a different language. I’d never seen such complexity. But it did get better.
It is a really huge
Advice for new teachers
Read everything. Read your emails.
Not to be afraid of technology and
It can be quite hard for sessionals if you’re just coming in for
Just to be open
So how do I improve my teaching? Constant feedback from students right through
When I first start a class I try to get to know my students and establish trust within the group and that I find helps sets up the environment for trust and enabling students to ask questions.
You stay inspired. You keep your audience engaged. You remember how it was to be a student yourself. And have fun.
The following instructions will assist you to control the video player using the keyboard.
Starting and stopping the video
- Use the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination to navigate the video player controls.
- Navigate to the Play button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between play and pause.
- Navigate to the closed captions button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to open the closed captions menu.
- Navigate to the preferred close captions option using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to activate the close caption option.
- Navigate to the volume slider using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the left or right arrow to decrease and increase the volume.
- Navigate to the full screen button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between full screen video and normal size.