Dr Richard Tay, Vice-Chancellor's Senior Research Fellow School of Business IT and Logistics
Dr Richard Tay | RMIT University
Vice-Chancellor's Senior Research Fellow School of Business IT and Logistics
(Transcript with notations)
#§ (Music Playing) §#
My name is Richard Tay. My research aims to sort of improve the transportation system as it has very strong focus in road safety in the past. But I also do work on improving the efficiency, the sustainability and accessibility of the transport system.
Transport is the engine of growth for the economy. Yes, transport also connects people. So we need the mobility to improve our wellbeing by connecting to our friends, accessing services, yes, and transport also sort of provide the connection between buyers and sellers. And so if you buy and sell anything you need the logistics and transport to make it work.
Transport research will impact on the world because it improves both the economic growth, it helps to improve the environment, it helps wellbeing and health and wellbeing of the general population by connecting them socially and also letting them have access to essential services.
I applied for the VC Research Fellow because it allowed me to focus on research for four years. It also gives me time to transition from my own area of research to a new area of research. Yes, most of my previous work is focused on road safety but now I'm attached to School of Business IT and Logistics. So I need to start doing research more on transportation, freight and logistics.
I like RMIT because it's quite open to multidisciplinary research and collaboration between schools. My research fit in well with the logistics and transport research area, you know, so fit in well with the urban city, yes. Transportation is a large part of any large city.
#§ (Music Playing) §#
End of video
The following instructions will assist you to control the video player using the keyboard.
Starting and stopping the video
- Use the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination to navigate the video player controls.
- Navigate to the Play button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between play and pause.
- Navigate to the closed captions button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to open the closed captions menu.
- Navigate to the preferred close captions option using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to activate the close caption option.
- Navigate to the volume slider using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the left or right arrow to decrease and increase the volume.
- Navigate to the full screen button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between full screen video and normal size.
Copyright © 2014 RMIT University. All rights reserved.
Conditions of use
This item is available to RMIT University staff for official RMIT educational or promotional purposes. All uses outside of official educational or promotional purposes must be used with permission. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for permission.