Research at RMIT - Brendan Keogh
My research project is about video games and video game criticism. The academic study of video games is relatively young. We have a generation for whom video games are, perhaps, just normal and mundane and every day. So, I kind of see myself as one of many academics trying to start video game studies as a kind of talking about these things as cultural artefacts.
So, I guess some of the questions I'm trying to ask myself in this research is how do video games mean? How do they feel? I think a lot of institutions do Game Design under an IT School. Whereas at RMIT, Game Design is under Design. It's a much more kind of integrated critical approach. It kind of gives me a lot more room to kind of breath and talk to people about games as an art form rather than games as a computer software.
To go into it and not thinking video games are special or new or somehow completely different but are really connected to this much broader art history and to really grapple with that challenge of thinking about that.
If the world didn't have video games we would lose thousands of worlds that people can explore. It would lose this amazing ability to learn, feel empathy with other people that with this medium where you can literally step into other people's shoes. There's a lot there to lose.
The following instructions will assist you to control the video player using the keyboard.
Starting and stopping the video
- Use the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination to navigate the video player controls.
- Navigate to the Play button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between play and pause.
- Navigate to the closed captions button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to open the closed captions menu.
- Navigate to the preferred close captions option using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to activate the close caption option.
- Navigate to the volume slider using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the left or right arrow to decrease and increase the volume.
- Navigate to the full screen button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between full screen video and normal size.