Alice Gainger talks about her passion for helping the disadvantaged in the community and the diverse areas she gets to work in the industry.
TEXT ON SCREEN: Helping the disadvantaged. Alice Grainger - Bachelor of Social Work
VISUAL: Video is an interview with Alice. During the interview the camera cuts to Alice sitting at an outdoor table writing in a notepage then back to the interview format multiple times.
ALICE GRAINGER SPEAKS: So I chose to study at RMIT mainly because I liked the social work course that they offered, which included lots of theory and practical placement as well. I think I was always wanting a career where I would be working with people especially those that are disadvantaged, so it seemed like the career for me and also the fact ... I liked social work because it allows you to work in lots of different areas, so you can work with young people, in disability, alcohol and drugs. It's just so varied so I didn't think I'd be sort of locked into one set thing. During my time at RMIT I did two student placements. One, my first one, was at the youth organisation I currently work for now, so through my student placement I got part time work and then that gradually built up to full time work now. There was lots of theory in my head but to actually go out into the workforce and put it into practice was very helpful. Right now I'm working for a community youth organisation in South Melbourne, so I work there full time as a social worker working with young people in schools as well as at the community centre running different programs, recreational programs and educational programs. Yeah, I loved studying at RMIT, it's … it was a very good four years of my life. I met some great friends and learnt a lot, which is going to stay with me for a long time.
VISUAL: FADE TO WHITE
TEXT ON SCREEN: Find out more at www.rmit.edu.au/research/opportunties. RMIT University logo.
[End of Transcript]
The following instructions will assist you to control the video player using the keyboard.
Starting and stopping the video
- Use the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination to navigate the video player controls.
- Navigate to the Play button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between play and pause.
- Navigate to the closed captions button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to open the closed captions menu.
- Navigate to the preferred close captions option using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to activate the close caption option.
- Navigate to the volume slider using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the left or right arrow to decrease and increase the volume.
- Navigate to the full screen button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between full screen video and normal size.
Copyright © 2014 RMIT University. All rights reserved.
Conditions of use
This item is available to RMIT University staff for official RMIT educational or promotional purposes. All uses outside of official educational or promotional purposes must be used with permission. Please contact email@example.com for permission.