[Orchestral music and machine sounds]
Sometimes, to make things better you have to first take everything apart and look inside.
Doing research, you have to look at the smallest details and the bigger picture all at the same time.
But most importantly, you have to ask the right questions.
How can I make air travel safer?
How can I fine tune materials of the future?
How can I connect everyone around the world? A PhD is about taking a peek into the future and trying to find a way to get there.
Current transistors rely on bulky 3D materials. However, RMIT's new facilities allow us to operate at nano-scale creating revolutionary 2D conductors. I work with atomically thin layers of black phosphorous. In a quantum confined environment, I can tweak them to form building blocks of future electronics.
Nature has been building complex structures for a very long time. In comparison, carbon fibre is a relatively new material. My research is sponsored by Boeing. Their aim is to reduce carbon fibre delamination. Aircraft are exposed to inevitable forces of nature. I created a patented way to strengthen the composite, resulting in tougher and safer aircraft panels.
Our world is filled with wireless interference. In my PhD, I'm designing a practical Internet of Things network. So, I need to make sure that sensors have enough power and range to cut through the spectrum. Our team partnered up with five local councils to deliver the largest IoT network in Australia. But my dream is to bring this technology to everyone and connect the whole world.
A big part of the research journey is sharing your ideas. RMIT supports us to present at overseas conferences where innovation comes from all aspects of life.
Doing a PhD is about contributing something new to your field. [Machine sounds] Because even answering one simple question can, in the end, have a great impact on the world around you.
The following instructions will assist you to control the video player using the keyboard.
Starting and stopping the video
- Use the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination to navigate the video player controls.
- Navigate to the Play button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between play and pause.
- Navigate to the closed captions button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to open the closed captions menu.
- Navigate to the preferred close captions option using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to activate the close caption option.
- Navigate to the volume slider using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the left or right arrow to decrease and increase the volume.
- Navigate to the full screen button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between full screen video and normal size.