Reporting sexual harm at RMIT. At RMIT, we use the term sexual harm to describe any sexual behaviour that you don't agree to, that made you feel uncomfortable or unsafe.
If you have experienced sexual harm and need support, you can contact Safer Community. It doesn't matter where or when it happened, we will be here to support you at every step along the way.
So, what happens when you talk to us? First, our trained staff will talk to you about your options and offer you support. You decide on what you need and what you choose to do next. We can connect you with other support services like the Centres Against Sexual Assault or RMIT's free Counselling service. We can support you to manage the impacts on your study or coursework. You decide.
If what happened relates to a member of our community, you can decide if you want to report it to the University. The University will conduct an investigation. It will be separate to any police investigation. The University will consider all available information and decide if our rules about behaviour have been broken. If the behavioural rules have been broken, the University will decide what action to take. We will inform you of the outcome.
If we think the safety of our community is at risk, we may need to report the matter to the university or the police. If you are under 18 and have been sexually assaulted, we must report the matter to the police. It's the law. In other cases, you can decide if you want to report the matter to the police. The police will investigate whether the law has been broken. This would be separate to any university investigation. We will support you and work with the police to make sure our actions don't interfere with their investigation.
If you are an international student, reporting to the University or the police will not affect your visa. Reach out to Safer Community for support. Contact us, safer community at RMIT dot EDU dot AU.
The following instructions will assist you to control the video player using the keyboard.
Starting and stopping the video
- Use the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination to navigate the video player controls.
- Navigate to the Play button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between play and pause.
- Navigate to the closed captions button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to open the closed captions menu.
- Navigate to the preferred close captions option using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to activate the close caption option.
- Navigate to the volume slider using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the left or right arrow to decrease and increase the volume.
- Navigate to the full screen button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between full screen video and normal size.