[START OF TRANSCRIPT]
VISUAL: RMIT Interim Vice-Chancellor and President Dionne Higgins addresses the camera.
DIONNE HIGGINS SPEAKS:
I’m Dionne Higgins, Interim Vice-Chancellor of RMIT and I’m so proud of our University’s passion for changing lives through education and extraordinary research.
But we know our best is only possible when we feel safe and supported.
That’s why respect is a fundamental at RMIT.
Each member of our community should know they can turn up with confidence.
Every day, without exception.
Anything less is unacceptable.
In 2017, following the Australian Human Rights Report on sexual harm in universities, RMIT, along with many other universities in Australia, made a commitment to take strong action in the prevention of and response to sexual harm.
In recent years, we’ve undergone an independent review of policies and procedures around sexual harm and started new, best-practice ones.
We’ve run our annual ‘Be the Change’ campaign to build awareness of support services and prevention actions.
And we’ve provided opportunities to grow practical knowledge and skills through workshops, events and learning modules.
Because we must be relentless educators when it comes to this issue.
We’ve also appointed a Child Safe Advisor position and expanded our Safer Community team.
Because we know that feeling confident, every day, also means having somewhere to turn when we’re uncomfortable or at risk.
So I’m asking every member of our community to stand up and speak up.
If you see something, or hear something, that’s not right you need to know we’ll have your back.
We have safe ways for you to share what you have experienced or what you know, and we have safe ways to provide support.
Because one instance of sexual harm will always be one too many.
It’s not about a campaign, it’s about knowing you can turn up to work, learn and research every day, feeling safe, supported and ready to thrive.
We should expect nothing less.
So, together, let’s continue to create a safe and respectful community for all.
The following instructions will assist you to control the video player using the keyboard.
Starting and stopping the video
- Use the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination to navigate the video player controls.
- Navigate to the Play button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between play and pause.
- Navigate to the closed captions button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to open the closed captions menu.
- Navigate to the preferred close captions option using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to activate the close caption option.
- Navigate to the volume slider using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the left or right arrow to decrease and increase the volume.
- Navigate to the full screen button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between full screen video and normal size.