Wominjeka! to New Academic Street brought together a traditional smoking ceremony to the brand-new Innovation Design Centre (IDS).
VISUAL: NAS Logo
AUDIO: Upbeat music plays [throughout video]
VISUAL: Aboriginal Elder Uncle Ian performs while students and staff look on
STACEY CAMPTON SPEAKS: When we do Welcome to Country and we invite elders onto the institution, back to their country, I think it's a great opportunity for us to have a relationship, to connect with each other and to start to think about what's possible in the future.
By us welcoming you to our special space, our country as we call it, we're inviting you to be a part of everything about it, from the earth through to the buildings that are erected on it now to the spirits that are around there.
Plus, I suppose all those opportunities to connect with Aboriginal and to Australia Island people.
VISUAL: Aboriginal Elder Uncle Ian begins smoking ceremony while students and staff look on
CATHY BRIGDEN SPEAKS: The significance of today with the Wominjeka Welcome and the cultural workshop that's been just done by Uncle Ian is about bringing a greater awareness and a greater understanding of the role of indigenous culture in the community and in the university and how we can embed that within our students' experiences and curriculum.
VISUAL: Uncle Ian concludes the smoking ceremony and begins to speak at a lectern. Others take to the lectern as well.
KERRY DENT SPEAKS: It was a great honour for us to be involved in the welcoming ceremony this morning. RMIT Connect is a really essential part of the student experience. Moving into this new area has been fantastic for us and we're really proud to be part of this space.
Obviously, RMIT Connect is really an essential part of the student experience and we're linking them into different services and reaching out to lots of different communities and so to be able to be part of the welcoming ceremony was a great pleasure for us and we feel very honoured to be part of that.
VISUAL: People are taking photos together, a party begins, people are seen eating food, drinking and celebrating.
VISUAL: NAS Logo
The following instructions will assist you to control the video player using the keyboard.
Starting and stopping the video
- Use the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination to navigate the video player controls.
- Navigate to the Play button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between play and pause.
- Navigate to the closed captions button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to open the closed captions menu.
- Navigate to the preferred close captions option using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to activate the close caption option.
- Navigate to the volume slider using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the left or right arrow to decrease and increase the volume.
- Navigate to the full screen button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between full screen video and normal size.