See what Luke has planned after his Advanced Diploma of Business (Public Relations) and what attracted him to radio.
This video shows LUKE MITCHELL sitting in the foreground in a broadcast booth at RMIT University. There are shots of him talking to camera, walking around Melbourne city, working at the radio broadcast booth, and walking through a studio.
Subtitle: Luke - Diploma of Business (Public Relations)
Audio: Soft instrumental music plays.
When I was growing up, I always was taking to the stage. So, when I was in high school, I was doing theatre, I was making movies, hosting assemblies. I even ended up hosting a muck-up day. So, it was definitely always something that I thought I would be involved in, is getting involved in media.
What I loved about being on stage was, it really felt like a safe space for me. I could be almost a character or be a bigger version of myself. I had a friend who was involved with the radio station and said, you should do a radio show with me. And I never really considered that before. But I gave it a go and came on air and was really nervous. But quite quickly I found my feet and really enjoyed it. So, it wasn't long before I was doing my own show. The next minute I was doing a breakfast show, because we got quite popular and that just lead to me loving my time here on air and really enjoying being a radio personality.
I was working full-time, I was still doing radio and I wanted to find a course that I knew I could try and fit in with my life. And when I was looking at post grad options, RMIT stood out to me. So, navigating everything in my life at once while I was studying was quite challenging. I was still working full-time as a manager in a call centre. I have a partner who I have been with for five years and I was still doing radio as well. So, it definitely became a real balance. I would be up at 6 for radio, I would spend the morning doing that. Then I would go to work, and then I would go to classes.
There were days when I pretty much didn't even see my partner. I would leave before he would even wake up in the morning, and I would get home after he was asleep at night. So, it was definitely a challenge, but I was just so driven to change my career and I knew that this was the thing that I needed to do, so that I could go to that next level.
Part of my course was an internship and I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to actually go overseas. So, I was in Edinburgh and Scotland. I did an internship for a company called, Webber Shandwick over there. And I learned so much in my time working for that company as an intern, which then led me into a role with Webber back home here in Melbourne. So, I came home and had an interview straight away and next minute I was working in the industry that I had studied for, for the last 2 years. And I am still there today and still really enjoying it.
I definitely think that by having that life experience in the workforce, it just set me up for success and I knew what I wanted, and I knew what I had to do to get it.
What's next for me is getting as much experience as I possibly can in the agency world, so that I can eventually start my own company. Hopefully, sometime in the next five years.
Title: What’s next…
Visual: RMIT University logo
CRICOS provider number: 00122A
Registered Training Organisation number 3046
The following instructions will assist you to control the video player using the keyboard.
Starting and stopping the video
- Use the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination to navigate the video player controls.
- Navigate to the Play button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between play and pause.
- Navigate to the closed captions button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to open the closed captions menu.
- Navigate to the preferred close captions option using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to activate the close caption option.
- Navigate to the volume slider using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the left or right arrow to decrease and increase the volume.
- Navigate to the full screen button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between full screen video and normal size.