What are your plans post-study? Find out what Alex has planned after his EMBA degree and what most appealed to him about studying business at RMIT.
[Start of transcript]
AUDIO: Modern inspiring music.
VISUAL: ALEX addresses the camera. Text on screen reads: Alex Executive Master of Business Administration.
ALEX SPEAKS: I chose to pursue a career in business, largely because I enjoyed business-related subjects at high school. I've got a lot of family members that are accountants and are involved in a business setting. And it's something that I thought would give me a broad view of the world.
VISUAL: Various shots of the street and interiors of RMIT buildings.
ALEX SPEAKS: What appealed to me about business in general, particularly at a young age, was that there is no limits in business, in terms of how far you can take it. You can start your own business, you can join a big organisation. And the ceiling is really where you leave it. It's up to you.
VISUAL: Shots of ALEX talking.
ALEX SPEAKS: I chose to do my undergraduate program at RMIT, largely because it's got a very good reputation in the business world. They are known for their practical teaching styles and giving students experiences that will be beneficial in a real-world setting. Most of the activities that we do as students are targeted on real world problems. They are focusing on businesses that have a question that needs answering, and it's not so much textbook learning.
VISUAL: ALEX going to work.
ALEX SPEAKS: I'm now participating in the executive EMBA program at RMIT as a postgraduate student. The EMBA has allowed me to broaden my horizons in a business setting. Juggling full-time work and part-time study is certainly challenging and it is something that I am adjusting to. But it is certainly something that you can deal with if you've got good timetabling and good scheduling practices.
VISUAL: ALEX works on his laptop.
ALEX SPEAKS: One of the reasons I chose RMIT to pursue my postgraduate course, was because of its location. I work as an accountant in the city and the city-based location of RMIT was perfect for me. It allowed me to get to night-time lectures after work. Quite often we find after class that we will end up at the John Curtin Hotel, which is a pretty nice place to unwind after class and after a busy day of work. If we have weekend sessions, we quite often have lunch in and around building 13, which is always very enjoyable to share with the other students.
VISUAL: ALEX as he enjoys a drink at a pub.
ALEX SPEAKS: What's next for me is to complete the EMBA program. I hope to take the skills that I've learned from my EMBA and apply them to my personal life, as well as help me become a better manager at work.
VISUAL: RMIT logo.
[End of transcript]
The following instructions will assist you to control the video player using the keyboard.
Starting and stopping the video
- Use the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination to navigate the video player controls.
- Navigate to the Play button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between play and pause.
- Navigate to the closed captions button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to open the closed captions menu.
- Navigate to the preferred close captions option using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to activate the close caption option.
- Navigate to the volume slider using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the left or right arrow to decrease and increase the volume.
- Navigate to the full screen button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between full screen video and normal size.