A new book exploring the importance of strategic design has been launched at RMIT.
Strategic design is the use of design principles and practices to guide strategy development and implementation toward innovative outcomes that benefit people and organisations alike.
Strategic Design: Eight essential practices every strategic designer must master aims to help designers develop their full strategic potential.
It is co-edited by Gerda Gemser, Professor of Business and Design in RMIT’s School of Economics, Finance and Marketing; her RMIT colleague Associate Professor Ingo Karpen from the Graduate School of Business and Law; and Assistant Professor Giulia Calabretta from Delft University of Technology in the Netherlands.
Professor Gemser said: “The book contains chapters co-written by design professionals and leading design academics in Europe and Australia and is aimed at design professionals wanting to operate on a more strategic level.
“The book was launched in Europe in October during the Dutch Design Week to acclaim and has already sold more than 1000 copies – a remarkable figure considering the short time it has been on the market.”
Speakers at the Melbourne launch were:
- Tristan Cooke, human-centred design leader at NAB
- Nermin Azabagic, senior strategy consultant, IBM Interactive Experience
- Ingo Karpen, Associate Professor of Design Thinking at RMIT
- Gerda Gemser, Professor of Business and Design at RMIT
- Yoko Akama, Associate Professor of Design at RMIT and co-founder of the Service Design Network Melbourne
Story: David Glanz