This research illustrated why statutory WHS responsibilities placed upon construction designers in several Australian jurisdictions are unworkable in the context of industry practice.
The Australian Research Council—Discovery Grant Scheme
- the importance of the design WHS debate
- a unique combination of design and WHS perspectives
- the ability to inform policy development and legislative review processes.
- highlighted conceptual problems inherent in the existing legislation
- developed alternative mechanisms for allocating design WHS responsibility in the construction sector
- provided the basis for policy development in the national priority area of hazard elimination in design
- improved the WHS performance in the construction and property sectors.
Lingard and Blismas (with the University of Melbourne).