One of Australia's original tertiary institutions, RMIT University enjoys an international reputation for excellence in professional and vocational education, applied research, and engagement with the needs of industry and the community.
RMIT is a world leader in Art and Design; Architecture and the Built Environment; Engineering; Accounting and Finance; and Business and Management Studies.
RMIT is proud to be able to give students a choice of study destination for many of our programs, for example you can study for an RMIT Business Degree here in Australia, Vietnam, Singapore, Indonesia, China or online, wherever is right for you and your family. It’s the same high quality degree with the same recognition and the same RMIT insight and support.
In addition we collaborate with educational institutions and industry globally on research and to provide industry solutions and student study experiences.
Reputation and Rankings
One of Australia’s original educational institutions founded in 1887, RMIT University is now the nation's largest tertiary institution with more than 84,000 students, including 13,000 at postgraduate level.
- 5-Star QS ranking for excellence in higher education
- 14th highest ranked university in Australia and 247th in the world 1
- 15th globally for graduate employment (2nd in Australia and 6th in the Asia-Pacific region) 3
- 37th in the world for the international profile of the University's academic staff 1
- 17th in the world for Art and Design (highest ranked in Australia) 2
- 28th in the world for Architecture and the Built Environment (4th highest in Australia) 2
- Among the world's top 100 universities in Education; Engineering (Civil and Structural); Engineering (Electrical and Electronic); Computer Science and Information Systems; Communication and Media Studies; Development Studies; and Business and Management Studies 2
- Among the world's top 150 universities in Accounting and Finance; Engineering (Chemical); and Engineering (Mechanical, Aeronautical and Manufacturing) 2
- 18th in the world and 3rd in Australia among universities less than 50 years old (2017–18 QS Top 50 Under 50 index)
12017–18 QS World University Rankings
22017 QS World University Rankings by Subject
32018 QS Graduate Employability Rankings
In the prestigious Academic Ranking of World Universities 2016, RMIT is ranked among the top 500 institutions world-wide.
RMIT is also ranked in the 401-500 band in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2017-18, and 74th in the Asia-Pacific region.
RMIT is 19th in the world in the Business of Fashion’s 2017 Global Fashion School Rankings and 9th in the BoF’s Top 10 Global Graduate Fashion Business Courses.
Excellence in Research
The quality of the RMIT’s research work has been endorsed by the Australian Research Council.
In the most recent Excellence in Research for Australia evaluation, RMIT was rated “well above world standard” in 13 research fields and “above world standard” in a further nine fields.
Our research in 11 areas of science (including medical science), engineering and applied mathematics, as well as in architecture and media and communications, was ranked among the best in the world.
Victorian International Education Awards
At the inaugural Victorian International Education Awards, RMIT received the Premier’s award for International Education Provider of the Year and the award for Excellence in International Education (University).
Our alumni community of more than 300,000 stretches across the globe and includes leaders such as News Corporation CEO, Robert Thomson; BHP Billiton Chair, Jacques Nasser; multi-award winning theoretical physicist, Dr Amanda Barnard; and former Edinburgh International Festival Director, Sir Jonathan Mills AO.
RMIT exists to create transformative experiences for our students, getting them ready for life and work, and to help shape the world with research, innovation, teaching and engagement.Learn more
Martin Bean, RMIT's President and Vice Chancellor talks about the universities strategy.Learn more
RMIT was established in 1887 as the Working Men’s College with the aim of bringing education to the working people of Melbourne.Learn more
Governance and Management
Sound governance and management is essential to ensure the success and sustainability of the University.Learn more