Having international work experience can help you stand out,
Future employers will appreciate the independent process you went through, and you’ll develop international networks and expand future opportunities to work overseas.
RMIT offers a range of work experience programs abroad including:
- RMIT International Industry Experience and Research Program (RIIERP)
- AESTE (International Association for the Exchange of Students for Technical Experience).
- Dreams Careers
- CDS International
- Search online listings. Many websites advertise internship opportunities with companies, governments and organisations.
- Visit RMIT Career Hub and Global Job Search.
- Attend the Work Experience Fair.
Excellent written and spoken English skills are very important in Australian workplaces. If you need to improve your English, here are some strategies that can help.
- Try to choose an industry that is close to your major or field of study. For example, if you are studying merchandising, look for an internship with a retailer or fashion designer.Pick a country
- or region of the world you would like to travel for your internship.
- Determine the preferred length of your internship. Most university students intern for a semester, a full year or during the end of year break.
- Discuss your plans with people. You may need to let your program coordinator know that you’ll be away for a while and check your internship won’t impact your studies.
- Research thoroughly. Look into the organisation and the company organising the internship. Make sure the terms of the internship are very clear. You should know what exactly the job entails, how you will be paid, and the start and end dates.
- Try to get university credit for your internship. Many internships offer either pay or credits, but sometimes you can get both. Credit for your RMIT degree can only be guaranteed by your School. Make sure you lock in any agreement regarding credit in writing.
- Find out about accommodation. Internships that are sponsored by programs or universities may provide on-campus accommodation. If housing is not included, you’ll need to find a place to live during your internship.