The cover letter - also known as the application letter, is typically a ONE page professional business letter designed to introduce yourself to a potential employer. It is an opportunity to engage with the employer to show you are a good match for the job and organisation.
Complete the Application Package to learn how to create and develop a resume, cover letter and key selection criteria tailored to your industry.
Some key points to consider when drafting a cover letter include:
- Address the selection criteria outlined in either the position description or job ad. Use examples from your experience. This can include work, study or volunteer experiences.
- Keep your cover letter to one page only.
- Do your research. Show your motivation as to why you want to work for this particular organisation.
- Plan your structure before you start writing. A good basic structure could be four paragraphs:
- introduce yourself and say why you believe you are a good fit for the job
- outline briefly your relevant work experience
- outline your related education and qualifications
- summarise the connection between your skills and experience and this position, and why you particularly want to work at this organisation.