Key selection criteria
Complete the Application Package to learn how to create and develop a resume, cover letter and key selection criteria tailored to your industry.
Some points to consider before writing your key selection criteria include:
- Analyse the selection criteria one at a time to work out what the employer wants.
- Brainstorm ideas - find examples of things you’ve been involved in from different parts of your life eg study, employment, industry placements etc.
- Provide evidence to support your examples; be specific and include measurements of how well you did them. If you increased sales, say by what percentage or how many dollars. If you streamlined a process, say how much time it saved.
- Match examples to selection criteria – make these matches as logical and relevant as possible (for example, writing about how you improved a customer service process in your retail job to demonstrate selection criteria about problem-solving).
- Write it up – create a separate document if it’s a public sector job application, or insert the examples into your draft resume and cover letter.
A simple framework for structuring your answer for selection criteria is the ‘STAR model’, consisting of:
Situation: describe the setting
Task: outline what you needed to do
Action: explain how you went about it
Result: describe the outcome.