At times, it is normal to feel anxious about the progress in your studies. However, you may feel that your current program is not the right one for you.
Sometimes the reality of your program did not meet your initial expectations or perhaps you chose your program based on external factors such as parental pressure. Other reasons why you might want to change the program can include:
- You may be struggling academically.
- You feel a different course would be better suited to your career.
- You do not enjoy the subject area.
Whatever the reason, it is worthwhile doing some research before changing programs to help you make a positive decision about your future studies.
Think about your current program
- Why is it not the right program for you? Is it to do with factors about the program - the job the program is leading to, a particular subject, the lecturers?
- Is it to do with factors outside of the program – the transition from school to university, the need to take a year off, other circumstances outside of university that are influencing how you feel about the program?
- If you decide that the program is the issue and that you are in the wrong program, work through the following steps and you will be better placed to make an informed decision. Keep in mind that they are starting points only.
What career or jobs are you interested in?
- Explore your career direction using the MyFuture website.
- Read the Job Guide for information on what people do in each job.
- Use the internet to research careers, professional associations and employers.
- Hobsons course finder is a comprehensive and independent information source about tertiary education pathways, including postgraduate courses, and career options in Australia.
- Interview or shadow someone doing that kind of work.
- Obtain related work experience – see Quick tips: Work experience (PDF 261Kb, 2 pages).
- If you would like to discuss your ideas further, talk to a careers consultant.
Develop self awareness
Please note: Before you can choose the right program, you will need to undertake a self-assessment of your skills, interests, values and personality. See Career planning for more information.
Choosing the right program for you
- See Changing programs (PDF, 257Kb, 2 pages) for more information.