Become a 3Cs mentor
The 3Cs (Cross Cultural Communication) program matches local student mentors with international student mentees and aims to assist international students to develop key skills for working in Australia.
Looking for volunteer experience with a purpose? Do you want to help new international students adjust to Australia and improve their chances of finding work? Become a 3Cs mentor.
3Cs is a structured, interactive and social cross-cultural mentoring program. The program will run in second semester 2017 and mentor applications are open now.
What do 3Cs mentors do?
- Mentor new international students in small groups with the support of RMIT Careers and Employability.
- Introduce new international students to Australian workplace culture and the Australian way of life.
- Help new international students access a range of support and resources offered by the RMIT Careers and Employability team.
- Develop your mentees’ confidence and communication.
What do I get out of it?
As a mentor, you get the chance to develop transferable skills that will increase your own employability, including:
- developing your leadership and cross-cultural skills
- developing your confidence in working with large and small groups
- developing your communication and interpersonal skills
- learning more about body language, networking, job interviews and positive psychology
- understanding the process of transition and adjusting to new cultures and work environments
- expanding your network.
You will also receive an RMIT LEAD accredited certificate.
Mentors who complete the full program, including training, all eight workshops and briefings will receive:
- a LEAD accredited certificate signed by the Vice-Chancellor
- acknowledgement of volunteer hours on your academic transcript
What do I need to do before I register?
You must be able to attend the Mentor training session and all eight of the workshops to register. The training, workshops and briefings will all be held on the RMIT City campus.
Ready to register as a 3Cs mentor?
We encourage local RMIT students from VET and higher education to participate as mentors. To register as a mentor, complete the 3Cs mentor registration form on CareerHub (student login required). Please note that preference will be given to students who can demonstrate local work experience.
Registration will be open soon.
If you have any questions about this program or are interested in becoming a 3Cs mentor, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.