Become a Mates at RMIT mentor
Become a Mates at RMIT mentor and experience both personal and professional growth, and develop your skills in a diverse range of areas.
For your contribution you will receive a LEAD recognition on your academic transcript.
Applications for the Semester 1 2018, program are now open.
Register here and become a Mates at RMIT Mentor.
About Mates at RMIT
Mates at RMIT is a peer-mentoring program which provides an opportunity for new students (international, local, rural/regional and interstate) to communicate with current students and be involved in activities to assist with settling in to Melbourne and RMIT.
New students can join the program before they arrive and get access to assistance to make a smooth transition into university.
Enhance your skills and your student experience
As a Mates at RMIT mentor, you will experience both personal and professional growth, and develop skills in a diverse range of areas. You will:
- build your leadership and cross-cultural communication skills
- share your knowledge and experiences to help new students
- gain a better understanding of how RMIT assists students and how to refer them to the appropriate support service.
In order to fulfil program requirements, you must complete:
- five hours compulsory mentor training
- one hour of Welcome Day activities
- at least 14 hours of volunteering, which includes mentoring and organising and attending social or cultural events aimed at assisting commencing international students to settle in at RMIT and in Melbourne.
When you complete these requirements – a minimum of 20 hours of volunteering – you will receive:
- LEAD recognition on your academic transcript (adding value to your résumé)
- gratitude and appreciation from your mentees - a rewarding experience!
Successful completion of the Mates at RMIT Program will be counted towards the Future Edge Program. Future Edge is a University wide employability program that gives you recognition for on and off campus co-curricular activities and helps you build key employability skills.
Who can become a mentor?
To become a mentor, you must:
- be currently enrolled as a student at RMIT in Semester 1, 2018
- be studying at RMIT and living in Melbourne for 12 months
- be confident communicating in English – writing, speaking and listening
- attend compulsory mentor training in February 2018.
How can I sign up?
Complete the online registration form to become a mentor.
Email the Mates at RMIT Team with any questions firstname.lastname@example.org.
What past students say about Mates at RMIT
“I loved that I was able to make a positive difference to the experiences of my fellow students, and that I was able to meet such a wide variety of people from all sorts of other programs and walks of life, who I would otherwise probably have not come into contact with during my time at RMIT.”
“The connection between team leaders, mentors and mentees made it a really friendly and wonderful community where we became friends for those who wanted to, and helped each other out with anything. I highly recommend the experience and wish I could do it next year, as I finish this year”.