Become a Mates at RMIT team leader
Have you got leadership experience? Maybe you’ve mentored before? Become a Mates at RMIT team leader and build skills that can add value to your future employment prospects.
About Mates at RMIT
Mates at RMIT is a peer-mentoring program that provides an opportunity for new students (international, local, interstate and rural/regional) to connect with current students. It aims to assist new students to settle in to Melbourne and RMIT while creating a sense of community.
Why become a Mates at RMIT team leader?
This leadership role will give you the opportunity to build employable skills in:
- leading and managing a team
- event and project management
- professional writing
- conflict resolution.
Being a team leader is a rewarding experience for students who are looking for a challenge whilst making a difference within the RMIT student community.
What do team leaders do?
The key responsibilities of a team leader will be to:
- provide support and guidance to a group of 10* mentors
- organise a fun and engaging on-campus or community activity or event
- communicate and meet with their team of mentors regularly
- keep the Mates at RMIT staff updated with their progress.
*Subject to change depending on program numbers.
How do I get involved?
To qualify as a team leader (volunteer), you must:
- be a current student studying at RMIT in Semester 2, 2017
- have participated in the Mates at RMIT program, or another LEAD-accredited program as a mentor
- demonstrate excellent speaking, writing and listening skills
- commit to the role from 5 July to 15 September 2017
- be available to attend compulsory training in early February
- have an interview with the Mates at RMIT team.
At the end of the program, you will receive:
- a LEAD certificate signed by the Vice-Chancellor
- recognition on your academic transcript (which will enhance your career opportunities).
Successful completion of the Mates at RMIT Program will be counted towards the Future Edge Program. Future Edge is a University wide employability program that gives you recognition for on and off campus co-curricular activities and helps you build key employability skills.
How to apply
To apply to become a team leader, email the Mates at RMIT team at email@example.com and we will get back to you.
What past team leaders have enjoyed about being involved
“Before I decided to be team leader, I had carefully thought about it. I definitely do not regret my decision, the time I devoted paid-off for my learning and experience. I could say that it is the most memorable experience I have gained during my time at RMIT.
“Being a Team Leader is an excellent way to push yourself out of comfort zones, and make yourself become a big picture thinker as well as a detail-orientated leader. You could not believe what you are able to do until you join Mates at RMIT as a Team Leader; this is amazing”.
Thi, Bachelor of Applied Science
“The role not only gives you valuable leadership experience, but allows you to meet many new people, engage with different cultures and make the transition to RMIT and Melbourne a little bit easier for new students”.
Heather, Bachelor of Arts
“The team leader role was amazing. It was the first proper taste of what it means to be a leader, and I developed a lot of skills and gained some incredibly valuable experiences. This period led to some really cool insights that filtered over to "real life" as well. One of the most useful things I learnt was that if you know what your goal is, you will basically work it out, as long as you keep trying, sooner or later”.
Harjot, Bachelor of Engineering